Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a problem with my standard z20let occasionally on starting it the oil light will stay on it doesn't sound like the engine is starved of oil no tappet noise etc and a quick blip to 2000rpm clears it straight away never to return on even the longest journeys.

my question is what could be causing this?
Sticky relief Vv?
Sticky pressure switch?
Knackered oil pump?
Knackered Bearings?

The car has been well looked after externally but mechanically i think its had some neglect at some point of its life
I have recently done a full service with new fluids and filters all round so just wondering if this could have dislodged something

I really don't fancy stripping it all down to investigate but i will be fitting an oil press gauge asap

Cheers all

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Sounds like either a faulty pressure switch or a sticky relief valve.

Replace the switch first as they are cheap and a lot easier to remove than the oil pump!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers i was hoping for something like this is there any history of these bits sticking before?
I think all the pressure switches are the same so will just pinch a working one off my V6

Thanks

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Pressure switches on the 1.2 16v corsa lumps used to fail all the time due to a sealing issue inside the unit, so these do fail.

Due to the design of the relief valves the tolerances need to be very tight, even the smallest bit of crap sucked up from the sump can cause the valve piston to jam or stick until enough pressure is exerted on it (which sounds like your issue)

·
Registered
170 Posts
surely if it started with PRV open it'd sound like a bag of spanners because no oil would be getting to head?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
surely if it started with PRV open it'd sound like a bag of spanners because no oil would be getting to head?
would of thought that to be the case will try the sensor first as its not sounding that bad and drives fine i have took the oil cap off and there is defiantly oil flying around the cams

·
Registered
170 Posts
borrow/beg/steal an actual gauge and plumb it in to see, the "it's broken" light isn't exactly renowned for accuracy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
hello, do you solve the problem ? i have the same problem... and i don't know what to do. thank you !!

·
Registered
552 Posts
As above, check the pressure switch, then the relief valve (they can stick), then check the pump pressure with a decent gauge. Sometimes the oil pick up can be clogged, next oil change you can check this this with an endoscope camera in the drain hole, or just whip the sump off for a proper look. Lastly it could a be a shell or bearing that's failed and is letting the pressure out (you would hear this rattling though).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I put 2x washers under the spring of Valve and this tip solved my problem 😁
Hopefully that will work.Only thing is in doing that you will increase the oil pressure to an unknown level, unless you have a gauge fitted, you could be increasing it a lot and possibly cause damage the turbo seals.

·
Registered
17,041 Posts
what about the oil itself? are you using cooking oil?:rolleyes::p
use semi synthetic oil of 20/50 ans don't go down too low on the first number, as those oils are for hardest winters to minus 35c and hopefully filter not chocked up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts