Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been changing the piston rings on a z20lel and it turns out one of the pistons was cracked. I bought a single piston and rod from a z20leh on eBay thinking they were the same but the top of the piston is slightly different. This may be a stupid question but can I still use it? I think the compression ratios on the two engines are the same? (8.8:1?)
Or do I need to find a z20lel piston or just replace all pistons..
Any help much appreciated

Some photos of the pistons

Current z20lel:

new z20leh piston

·
Registered
454 Posts
They are quite different pistons, Z20leh has a semi forged design (squeeze cast) piston, it would in theory fit in the Lel block dimensionally and the engines do run the same compression ratios. but I would expect the weights would be off (worth checking if you scales) so you would most likely need to change all 4 pistons for balance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for info, I think I’ve found a full set so gonna go with that to be safe 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m now waiting on a used set of z20leh pistons and rods to arrive, my next question is can I use the current bearings or should I replace them?

·
Registered
454 Posts
What condition are they in? Unless they look fairly mint, I would recommended replacing with a decent set while you are there, the cost isn't normally too bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts