i have a 16 v red top to be used in a kit car
i need to prove engine age for s.v.a. test
any one on here can help i would be much obliged
i think it came out of a " h " plate calibra

cheers in advance nige..........

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I did mine I contacted Vauxhall and got a certificate confirming the age from them .

The man to contact used to be

Jonathan Bell
Vehicle Registrations Systems and Type Approval Coordinator Vauxhall, Marketing Services J. Bell 7288 D3, Vauxhall Motors Limited, Griffin House, Osborne Road, Luton, LU1 3YT ,ENGLAND.
Tel: 0044 - (0)1582-427288 and 0044 (0)1582 874405 (Office)
Fax: 0044 - (0)1582 427400
Dial 8: 8944 - 7288
Mobile : 0044 - (0)7721-066886
Email: <mailto:[email protected]>

Not sure if they still do this as they were on about stopping but worth a try . not cheap though !!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently put a kit car through the SVA with a red-top in it. Really you need the log book
from the car the engine came from, and first time through the SVA test that was all the SVA inspectors said they would accept as proof of engine age.

However at the retest I took a letter from vauxhall which stated that the 2.0 XE was last fitted to Astra's / Cavaliers etc in 1989 (which I'm not sure is absolutely correct) after which time the engine code was changed to C20XE and was fitted with a cat. Since they could verify the engine was stamped 2.0XE and not C20XE that was good enough and they accepted the engine was to be tested at pre-cat emissions.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
got an old MOT from teh donor vehicle ?

theres date stamps dotted around the engine too, front of the block, cam caps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xe red top age ??

thanks for the replys boys
i didnt get it from a doner
i actually bought it off cav web from a local guy
it was already out
i will try the vauxall route after contacting the sva people
once again thanks for the replies

·
Registered
52 Posts
Either original log book or the official letter from Jonathon Bell are fine. To the best of my knowledge the date stamps on the individual bits have never been accepted, (presumably 'cause they don't necessarily match the year the car/engine was built). As has been said though, the letter ain't cheap, Vauxhall charge anyware between £50 & £65 (that I've come across). But you will get an official letter back with the full details of the car the engine was fitted to including the car build date and year of manufacture for the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
xe redtop age ?????????

cheers for that dave
in the great scheme of things £60
is not the end of the world

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
There should be a date cast on the front of the block, about halfway along on the bottom where it meets the sump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts