Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I get my flywheel for the XE lightened and balanced, if I take it to a machine shop how much should I ask for to be removed etc etc

any gen?

cheers

·
Registered
12,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda knew something about there being 2 different types but thats it... the flywheel im getting is out of a G reg GTE .. any gen?

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
properely balanced doesn't impart mythical strengthening properties though - likewise for 'it's been fine for x amount of weeks' - a little like saying an F20 will carry on being fine on an LET.

flywheels develop microcracks on the friction surface over time - they can and do shatter, not necessarily straight away at all.

seriously - get a steel one on there, they're not expensive - it's not worth risking the amount of utterhorribleness a flywheel at 8k rpm can do when it breaks up imo :beer:

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Been told that lightening a flywheel allows the engine to rev up quicker,
but at the cost of torque, so not recommended on 16v engines.

Also car will wheel spin a lot easier,

but don't quote me on it !

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
Torque is not affected (Stored energy in the flywheel will be)

It will stall easier as well as revving up quicker (with no load, and driving less so as the gear ratio decreases)

Idle can become lumpy, especially if you have wild cams already.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.