Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please can you explain some advantages/disadvantages of seam welding and welding premade plates to strengthen a nova. im not sure which method to use. are there any other methods apart from these

also i have got some brakes from a cav sri. i would like to put them on now but would it be wise to put them on at the same time of doing the conversion.?

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
Welding the seam or adding plates makes the front end stronger to handle the increased power of the XE.

Depending on the Nova you have and its condition etc welding would stop the XE ripping the engine bay apart. I think to get a nova insured it has to be welded etc, have to check though. In the long run its 100% advisable to make it stronger.

If the Sri breaks fit I would do them at the same time. When your moving alot faster you need all the stopping power you can get. Bigger the better :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
What model is the nova?

afaik, the gte's and Gsi's came with a little extra strengthning form the factory, although seam welding is advisable when putting an xe in.

I would deffo put some ate brakes up front at the time of the engine swap...wouldnt want to stack the car after putting the engine in, for the sake of not upgrading the brakes that you already have.

·
Administrator
61,465 Posts
yep same here
gets a set of 16v brakes and weld up every seam in the bay
i have...
also i have a set of 16v calipars 4 sale,no disks or pads tho
ben

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have herd that the brakes are a straight swap. is this true? how much would i be looking to spend on the engine bay being proffesionally welded. i have no idea.

What model is the nova?

its a 1.2 merit J plate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.