Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
xe with 180-180-150-150 on compression test. the car runs really well when reved but at tickover it chugs and vibrates like being on fekin bus! the guy i got the car from had just had head gasket done and said he was told there was some pitting even after the head was skimmed...my question is: will it be possible to skim more off and use a thicker gasket? if so, where do i get a gasket and roughly how much r they?
any advise appreciated!

·
Registered
123 Posts
col33 said:
xe with 180-180-150-150 on compression test. the car runs really well when reved but at tickover it chugs and vibrates like being on fekin bus! the guy i got the car from had just had head gasket done and said he was told there was some pitting even after the head was skimmed...my question is: will it be possible to skim more off and use a thicker gasket? if so, where do i get a gasket and roughly how much r they?
any advise appreciated!
I was advised by QED to skim not much more than 3thou off the head face, which is slighty less than the with of a nats ****. I sugest you remove the head and ang if the head face is that badly pitted take it to your local scrap recyclers and find out what its worth. The other option is to see if there is a saver shim available for you engine.This will allow you to remove far more metal than normally allowed. For what i undersand about the product the shim is like i thick gasket made from copper but dont quote me on that. Give Saunders Motor Works near Southampton a ring on 02380 812101 (some time takes um a while to pick up)and tell um ya probs and im sure there have you sorted in no time. They do engine machining for lots of the big boys so if you a not to for away there be able to sort all the head work for you as well.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
checked compression again today and got 190-190-180-180 so better result than yesterday for some reason....stuck an airline in 4 to try to see if anything was leaking....bit going down through the rings but doesnt appear to be leaking from valves or between pots.
so, still got the rough idling problem which is just getting worse.
could it be a blocked injector? whats the best way to clean these other than take them somewhere and get charged an arm &leg?? any suggestions please?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.