Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, but can't find an answer
I've got an X20XEV I'm putting in an old race chassis, as a track car. Couldn't go red top at the time I started, it's on carbs, and a big exhaust

I can't find a good answer on what the upper rev limit is on these.
My ignition system (nodiz) has a "safe" base map with a rev limit of 7200, but that is for s red top, and seems high for a standard engine

These have a stronger bottom end than the red top, don't they? I've set the limit to 6500 for now, but would be good to know what it should (could) be.

There was also a base map with a 10k limit for a red top! What's involved in getting to that?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m interested in this also. I have red top pistons and rods in mine. I think it’s good for around 8-8500, but I’m not positive about that

·
Registered
503 Posts
I've searched, but can't find an answer
I've got an X20XEV I'm putting in an old race chassis, as a track car. Couldn't go red top at the time I started, it's on carbs, and a big exhaust

I can't find a good answer on what the upper rev limit is on these.
My ignition system (nodiz) has a "safe" base map with a rev limit of 7200, but that is for s red top, and seems high for a standard engine

These have a stronger bottom end than the red top, don't they? I've set the limit to 6500 for now, but would be good to know what it should (could) be.

There was also a base map with a 10k limit for a red top! What's involved in getting to that?!

Thanks!
The standard X20XEV rev limit was 6.5k. I lifted mine to 7k on standard internals and this was fine for the next 4 years that I had the car (the engine had covered 115k when I sold it and was still running very well). If you use ARP rod bolts it should be fine up to 7.5k, maybe a bit more but this is only really worth exploring if you have different cams and a bit of head work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The standard X20XEV rev limit was 6.5k. I lifted mine to 7k on standard internals and this was fine for the next 4 years that I had the car (the engine had covered 115k when I sold it and was still running very well). If you use ARP rod bolts it should be fine up to 7.5k, maybe a bit more but this is only really worth exploring if you have different cams and a bit of head work.
Thanks for the info. I have headwork done and cams I’m guessing not going over 8k is pretty safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts