Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how much it costs to remove a car from the write off register?-Ive managed to find a 1.2 nova sting,G-reg,no interior,engine,gearbox or lights,that has some passenger side damage,which looks fairly easy to fix,replace front wing n door,and weld in a new panel to the rear arch,its mine for £30,but it dont have the spoiler :( any help would be great,considering getting it for my bro as a project

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Well I bought a salvage car which was a write-off. All I had to do was get a form (V5?) from the postie and fill that in and sent it off. You'll get a log book through the post. Get it MOT'd, then insured, then drive it, crash it, and it's a write-off again. (That was the story for my first salvage car)

I'm on my second salvage car now and I haven't got as far as the crash it bit yet.

My opinion is get one. You can pick up good bargains and yes they do make worthy projects. I got my cav up and running and now happily does 60 miles a day and is nice. Was after a veccie salvage but haven't seen many that are repairable. Found a V6 when I started driving but couldn't afford insurance. Wish I'd got it now!

Hope this waffle helps a bit

mark :D

Oh BTW, could someone explain to me the write-off group classifications - i.e. B, C, D etc cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this sounds fair to me,V5 you say?-nice one,Im gonna go down to the council bit to try get a garage for it,keep it all hush hush till I get him an engine,box n a drivers seat(for now,will chase up for SR interior after a while,and a GTE bumper in Glacier White,)
It needs a chunk of the rear arch cutting out,and this goes on to the bit behind where the passenger door latches,this is repairable isnt it?-I think I will risk it,if the worst comes to the worst,a glacier white back bumper,front bumper,grille,and tidy drivers door will be able to sell on.Just ask the bloke if I can have it up on ramps before making the purchase,I think I will have it tho,cant go wrong at that price really can you? £30?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Stranger as I understand it the category's for write off's are as follow's

CATEGORY

A,B= DO NOT TOUCH WITH A BARGE POLE, these are complete right off's and are not allowed to be repaired and put back on the road!! :eek:

C,D= Can be sold,bought to be repaired must be done to MOT standard (obviously) and should be checked by qualified mechanic,garage.

Hope this helps

and if I've got it wrong which as far as I know it isn't, based on a conversation I had with a bloke at THE HPI CHECK company, I'm sure someone will set the record straight.

[ 04-07-2001: Message edited by: vauxmaster ]

·
Registered
46 Posts
From memory:
A: Has to be crushed
B: Undamaged parts can be removed and sold off, remains should be crushed
C & D: Repairable - there is a difference but I can't remember what.

You can never get the car completely removed from the HPI register but you can have the repaired car inspected and have it's status changed from Write-off to 'Inspected'. This costs quite a bit though - £300? so is not going to be worth it on an old Nova.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Thought it woz right!!

MrBren,

Are those GSi rear light clusters on ur H/Back??

fit straight on??

·
Registered
1 Posts
IS it actually worth bothering with though mate.At the most it is probably a £600 car and by the time youve got everything to sort it you probably spent nearly that believe me i know been there done that got the t shirt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.