Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First up I sorted the cam belt timing. Cam belt tension was fine but the timing was a whole tooth out. Every time I change the cam belt I redo it properly a few days later!

Then I went in for a moment. When I came back out some local oik was spraying my wheels!

So I made him clean the wheels and take some photos of the car.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Meanwhile I started preparing the new block for painting.

Jetwashed, dried and then painted with Black hammerite.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The little vandal came round in a Senator 2.5 12v. After threatening him he whimpered that his name was Simon P.
Apparently someone gave him the Senator. It's an automatic. So it had to be taken for a test drive.

2.5 inline 6.

The pimp daddy.

Hideous Blue interior. Very comfy though.

The stig.

The stig of the dump.

The engine smokes a bit!

Just look at that smokey engine.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Senator has a heater matrix leak which meant that steam came out of the dashboard most of the time. So we bypassed the matrix by connecting the feed and return pipes together. The fuel ecomony seemed a bit poor, which turned out to be a fuel leak from a perished pipe. Soon sorted that.

I topped the night off by fixing my thermostat housing with a crafty nut

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
pimp daddy pic doesnt work :(

looks like a fun day :D

dont u just hate it when the engine smokes like that ;) lmao

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Well Tom, I spent all day on my car too. Firstly was sorting the oil leak from the rocker cover since coming back from that forced top end rebuild a few months back L This proved to be traumatic as I found further evidence of incompetence and unbelievable shoddy workmanship, like not cleaning block head surface before putting gasket on (and not renewing), tightening all the rocker cover bolts so much that they could not be undone using a normal Allen key, I had to use an extension bar from my trolley jack and even through that leverage I could feel how tight they were, obviously done up with an air gun and not torqued to near 8Nm like they are supposed to be.

The worst was when looking at the dizzy I found that they had snapped one of the studs that clamps down the end cam cap that the dizzy attaches to, and left the other piece of stud and nut in situ so looked like OK until you tried to undo it and it just spun. Naturally the Vauxhall parts guy didn’t have a clue what I was on about on the phone, and they didn’t have one in stock when I went down so have bodged with a long M6 bolt for now as need car for starting new job on Monday.

All afternoon was spent putting the interior back in, after welding of 2 new sills and a couple of floor bits and replacing some sound proofing (I know these are like dirty words but I’m not a fan of nearing ever little stone that hits the bottom of the car on my daily driver).

After very minimal driving of my car since last summer for various reasons, I will now be using it probably 7 days a week as of Monday. I might even invest in some research driving in case I have spare funds available later in year, 2 new Yokohama tyres are first on list though with MOT next month J

Dan

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's nothing more sad than finding really shoddy jobs that have been covered up. However, there is a lot of pleasure in sorting things out properly. Keep it Astra.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Looking good Tom :cool:
Shoddy work is why i dont trust garages.
When i had the head off my Cally i decided to change all the Valve stem oil seals and relap the valves. I nearly didnt do this as i was desperate to have the car on the road but im gald i did cos when i had the valves out i noticed that 2 of the valves had their oil seals missing :eek: I looked through a few of my bills that i got with the car and i found a bill that was over a grand which included replacing 2 exhaust valves, and fitting a turbo (which customer supplied)
When your paying over a grand for a job to be done you expect it to be done properly dont you :mad:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I think if I have the time over the summer I'll have to take the head off mine cos its using LOADS of oil since the rebuild, hoping the rocker cover was a part of it but I just think they have done a piss poor job. I have nothing but utter contempt for them now, ****wits :mad: I have a fear of cambelt tensioning though and it going wrong, hence it went to a garage to be done last time, though seeing what a complete **** up they make of it I don't think I would do any worse:) Unfortunatly I'll have to clear out the bloody garage first :rolleyes:

Dan

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I have a fear of cambelt tensioning
Yeah i think most people do. Muppet did mine cos he helped me fit the belt cos i couldnt get it on. If it did get it on i would have done it myself but then my engine does have the autotensioner so you can see what you are doing.

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
You know, a set of big rims and drop that sucker and that senator would look cool.

I take it you had some arse out action with it going by the scared look on your face Tom:p

I wonder how quick it is?

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Sennys Rule!!!

And when you say 'given'..... do you mean free??? Cos thats is great nick for free!!

BTW, Tom.... cars looks fannytastic as ever.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The auto box makes spinning the rear wheels very difficult. It's quite a big engine, but the car weighs loads. I did manage to provoke it a little bit. But not too much since it's Simon's new toy.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well today me and Simon P travelled down to Oxford to pick up another 2.0 8v engine. Thanks to Nova 16v. I also tried out the Superchip he had. Sadly it didn't seem to raise the rev limit any higher than my standard chip. So I kept my chip.

We managed some good Sunday driving too.

Here's my personal scrapyard:

I also made Simon clean the car. "Clean my car lad!".

We brought a 4:2:1 tubular manifold back too. This came from Lee May originally.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
tomstickland said:
I also tried out the Superchip he had. Sadly it didn't seem to raise the rev limit any higher than my standard chip. So I kept my chip.

[/IMG]
saves me writing you a pm that does
didnt make any noticeable difference then?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts