Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will LED's (Blue/green/red whatever) work well on Cavvy/cally dashes with White dials??

Has anyone got any pictures??

Cheers :beer:

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
I tried them recently with my aqua leds.I have the new lockwoods,much more even light,with normal bulbs,but with 1 led per holder,it isnt bright enough.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Put Blue ( or whatever colour!) Cold cathodes behind em! Will light them up a treat! :D

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah cobra, but white wouldn't look like that I don't think.

Cold cathodes mark, doubt it would work, where would they sit??

The worst bit I think is the way LED's are a focused beam of light rather than a bulb which spreads its light out better, as the pictures by cobra show, the light is very dim around 70mph-90mph, but at 120mph its very bright.

I think what I am going to have to do is use some old clocks and experiement with them, using different lighting methods etc...

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
A mate of mine has white dials in his Corsa and they illuminate the same as mine. No light can be seen through the dial, only the numbers as they are transleucent.
The area of my speedo near the 70mph is strange. You cannat see that dark spot with your eyes, but the camera picks it up for some reason.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Nova16v said:
The worst bit I think is the way LED's are a focused beam of light rather than a bulb which spreads its light out better,
The led's I am doing now have a narrower viewing angle than the Blautachos ones but seem to spread the light wider..

In reality, they didn't look as bright as they appear in the pic (not to me, anyway). But we put them in a spare set of clocks (standard dials) and turned the room lights out.... think they look ok :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I did a custom cold cathode conversion to my Mk1 astra GTE dials and it worked brilliantly!

It took a while with the dremmel drilling/milling out a path for the light (a very thin 12" neon tube, thinner than a pencil). I mounted the power supply inside and it was very bright and looked the nuts! No dim areas at all.

Bulb was £5 and power supply £3, both from Maplins. They dont sell them on the website anymore, just in the shops as they tend to get broken in the post.

Expect to break a bulb fitting it though as it is somewhat trial and error!

I just sold the car though, so dont have a pic, sorry!

I hope to do it again with my Cav though.

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
Nova16v said:
Cold cathodes mark, doubt it would work, where would they sit??

Dunno about Cally dials but I thought they were the same as Cav Dials...... you can get short 4 inch stubby ones from Ebay that with a bit of tinkering will fit in! ;) C'mon John, thought you were the 'it'll fit' master :p

Just kidding but when I do mine you can look. I've had a set of Cav dials sitting in my room for a while now in pieces, there is space.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts