Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Total Excellium

Votes: 14 2.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Some people rate that Tesco 99 stuff but I use V-Power when I race. Empty the tank first coz between shows It just sits in my garage..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know a thing about 4pot engines, but the 6pot C30SE's ECU doesn't have maps to cater for different fuel octane ratings. The Lotus has a lot more advanced ECU maps and does indeed run a lot better on otimax than standard 95ron. I have found that there's no difference between optimax and standard 95ron on my car.

It all depends on if your ECU has the capabilities of utilising 98/99 octane fuel's benefits.

·
Registered
12,650 Posts
Very limited for choice up here, from that list I have either v-power or BP ultimate. v-power I have to do an 80 mile round trip for though, but is far superior to the BP stuff IMO.

Tesco have just started doing their S U/L but its about as good as a fart in a space suit. :(

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
shell normal green pump

my car was mapped for normal 95 octane, running it on optimax/vpower decreases performance. most people dont realise this.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
my car was mapped for normal 95 octane, running it on optimax/vpower decreases performance. most people dont realise this.
How will running an engine on higher octane fuel than it's designed for decrease performance?

Surely it won't make any difference? :confused:

I'm not having a go, before Shavenwookie dives in here accusing me of being a keyboard warrior, I'm genuinely interested.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
I`d never, ever, use one of those mentioned for reasons I can`t say. Tesco`s fuel is supposed to be good but haven`t tried it though remember they don`t have their own refinery so have to buy it from someone else. Someone else like one (or more) of the others on that list.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
How will running an engine on higher octane fuel than it's designed for decrease performance?

Surely it won't make any difference? :confused:

I'm not having a go, before Shavenwookie dives in here accusing me of being a keyboard warrior, I'm genuinely interested.
exactly, it makes no difference at all, therefore why pay 5 pence more per litre for optimax.

shell normal wasnt on the list so i voted optimax, as shell normal in my car was much better than any of the bp esso or texaco fuels.

·
Registered
13,010 Posts
exactly, it makes no difference at all, therefore why pay 5 pence more per litre for optimax.

shell normal wasnt on the list so i voted optimax, as shell normal in my car was much better than any of the bp esso or texaco fuels.

And Costimax is the same fuel as V Power with a splash of Toluene. Allegedly.

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
I don't think there's any allegedly in it lol.

Too much octane (in most cases) will decrease performance.

Certainly for stuff like Tesco99 which is boosted with 'bio' fuel which actually has a lower calorific value than petrol, you will lose rather than gain, unless you take advantage of the reduced tendency to knock (higher CR, more advance).

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I run my XE Corsa on BP Ultimate and BP 95 Unleaded and i havent noticed any difference in power between the 2.

At the minute its got a tank of BP Ultimate and a bottle of Redex to try and squeeze through the emissions test lmao

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
I use Tesco 99, i know it's not true 99, in that it acheives that rating with additives, but it's not much more expensive that normal stuff. Can't say i've noticed a difference, but i'll keep using it, i like the idea that it's keeping my engine clean inside (even if, at a later date that proves incorrect!).

I would probably use V Power if there was a Shell garage anywhere near home or work, but there isn't.

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
none of them are true 99. They're all refined to 95 iirc then boosted either with a toluene style stuff, or bioethanol.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts