Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have a noise I think is a wheel bearing problem on my GSI Cav.
When I am driving straight or turning left the noise is there. When I tweek the steering to the right or turn right the noise
goes.
Am I right in thinking it's the front right wheel bearing? Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just done one on my cav turbo. Front off side. Noise didnt go when i cornered though. It was a constant humming/vibration. I could feel it through the pedals and steering wheel to. ******* job though. Especialy to get the old race off the hub.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
You need a puller really. Sometimes the old bearing falls to pieces, but the bit that is stuck on the hub is very brittle and you should be able to split it with a hammer and chisle.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
jack one side up, axle stand underneath, leave opposing wheel on ground then spin the wheel up to high revs in second gear. Then try the other side, you will know which one is shagged, it will go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaar. Yuo can often be fooled which side is shagged from a road diagnosis.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I tried a couple of pullers, but the lip on the race was to small to get any kind of grip on. Lucky for me, i work in engineering, so i stuck the hub in a lathe, machined a grove in the race, then pressed it off with a hydrolic press. Didnt really think of the angle grinder trick. I'll remember it for next time though!

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I used a pulley of my valver engine that was almost a perfect fit to put over it and then whacked it with a hammer.
Although it was a spare pully I later found out that they cost meggabucks cos it was the crank pulley with the little woodruf key in it. Whoops.
it didn't even work, I had to go borrow a vice to do it properly. :mad:

·
Registered
17,641 Posts
I welded a bigger lip on the remnant of the race, then got an air chisel, around it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.