Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just adding the final coat of Laquer to my new wheels. These have took me ages to refurb, what do you think? Please be honest! :D

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Very nice.........good work. Leave at least a couple of weeks in a warm place before getting tyres on for the laquer to harden.

I've just got two tyres put on mine without any marks :beer: and will be getting the others done in the week.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Two weeks?? :( the tyres are getting fitted on Tuesday!!! Will this be a problem?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
P17FLD said:
Two weeks?? :( the tyres are getting fitted on Tuesday!!! Will this be a problem?
Well.............the laquer needs to be as 'ard as nails really. Peachperformance had his sprayed at a bodyshop I think and got a couple of marks when the tyres were fitted. Chance you take really. Doubt if any tyre fitter will give a guarantee that the wheels won't be damaged with new paint on. Only a suggetstion the two weeks........perhaps get one tried first before committing to all four?

·
Registered
455 Posts
nice job mate was it hard to do as i need to my wheels doing. Is it worth doing it yourself or getting it done

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Look really good mate :) , What are they going on?

angryman said:
Well.............the laquer needs to be as 'ard as nails really. Peachperformance had his sprayed at a bodyshop I think and got a couple of marks when the tyres were fitted. Chance you take really. Doubt if any tyre fitter will give a guarantee that the wheels won't be damaged with new paint on. Only a suggetstion the two weeks........perhaps get one tried first before committing to all four?
Yup, angryman is spot on. I had to get mine fitted up because I was changing jobs and I had to move the car from where it was stored (minus its wheels). Luckily 2 of the rims came back from the tyre fitters without a mark and all the marks on the other 2 polished out.

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Not sure TBH, not great but not crap, paint job is good tho.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There are going on my Mk2 punto (hope they fit!) as for colour if i told i would have to kill you lol

·
Registered
38,603 Posts
Looks good, but but looks like they still need a bit more flatting back, I can see a bit of orange peal.

Started my old Cavalier ones last week........

This is what they used to look like. No shine, curbed, scratched, faided. A mess....

...after rubbing down and filling, I primed them with a few coats of primer and built up a nice layer of it, before flatting that down to make it ultra smooth.

This is the end result. I had flatted down the laquer with wet 1200 grit before cutting back with G3 and then a good hard polish with Autoglym resin.

Brought them up a treat. But I wasn't happy with what you see here, so I did it again! LOL

·
Registered
38,603 Posts
BYRON 2 said:
Youve been busy Si!
LOL Yeah a little. The above had a nasty laquer run, so I stripped it it back and did it again. It was the first wheel, so was kinda of a test run. Doing the centre caps as well at the moment.

Here it is after I re-did it....looks a little better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts