Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have read, I've been offered a 3 year posting at our Dubai office. I will be taking the position as long as my fiancee can find a nursing job out there so that she can join me.

I've done a browse on the net and it seems Opels/Vauxhalls are not a common sight out there, so it would be worth going for something different for a change. I've only ever owned Astras (6 in a row).

Any ideas of what we should get out there? Katie doesn't drive, but would love for us to get a Mini - which I quite like the idea of, but I'm open to ideas. Would have a budget of around £8k. They have US cars out there too btw.

Cheers.
Mike

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Used Toyota Landcruiser. Driving style and manor is stupid. Might awsell protect yourself as best you can.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
Mike take a boat with you and sail all the way to Dubai!!lmao

PS.

I am getting better as the time goes and know quite a few Calibra Jokes now, still in my opinion the best car without any shread of doubt!!

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
on the serious side Mike, get any 4x4 as the petrol is so cheap there, but I am not sure of the running cost of taxing such big cars annualy like re-registeration etc may cost a bomb..

On the issue of tax on foriegn earnings, yes our Govt do tax people when they bring back their foriegn earned income to UK, so may be open an account in a Swiss bank and send all your money there, and then again by law you are now suppose to declare any foriegn held monies in bank accounts abroad, we live in a nanny world!!!!!

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No car tax mate afaik. :) Re. income tax, no they won't, as long as you are away for a full tax year during the stint out there.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Am i right in thinking that mercs are pretty popular out there and therefore pretty cheap!!!

could get yourself a high spec merc ;)

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking more along the lines of something fun, like a Mini, RX7, Mustang....

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
Have they sorted the gearbox problems on minis?
Two separate mates have had to have new boxes.
i guess anything with air con lol

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
whats going to happen to your own cars here Mike, you gonna sell or store in a garage?

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
a Chevy Cobalt SS. About the same kinda size as an Astra coupe. The 2.0 S/C version of the 2.2 as fitted to the vx/astra/vectra here. Silly cheap in the USA, tons and tons of mods available for them etc.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
rx7 loosk better mike :p but rx8 is nice too :D :nod: i say go for it...you have 3 years there, cars seem to be cheap enough so you might aswell enjoy your stay :D

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
what about leasing a RangeRover sport?

I was in dubai a montha ago, in the local paper the cars advertised to hire were very well priced.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts