Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, quick story, buying an Astra GSI this weekend, with 204 mini horses underneath its bonnet i.e. C20LET from a Cally Turbo. But it needs a new waterpump, so looking for info/prices. Is there such a thing as an uprated waterpump?

Cheerz!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
bah, can't find it :(

the upshot was that there are 3(?) types, one is metal and pretty rough, another is metal and well made (the vx stock item iirc) and a third is made of resin(??)

the problem with the metallic ones is corrosion due to cavitation.

but i really can't remember the detail - although there is a difference

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx everyone, glad I got more than 1 post! Am now looking forward to handing over my bank balance, in exchange for something that's a bit better than my crappy 306.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
green manalishi said:
no, you get cavitation on the vanes of the pump
I guess he meant RPM. I doubt the LET would have any major problems, but i'd go for the cast metal or plastic impeller over the folded metal anyway.

I would think/hope that idle/low rpm water flow would be better, which is the the bigger issue with a LET.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Dave Hay said:
cavitation is a result of a drop in pressure though??

does the water flow that quick/change temp enough??
Cavitation is caused by too high RPM of the impeller, cavities emerge (air bubbles) and essential it stops pumping and just makes a lot of turbulence.

More of an issue on high RPM (TB'ed) NA engines rather than the LET which being turbo'ed isn't really subjected to high RPM.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went out and got a QH type today, cost just under £30! Happy with that...
(just hope it lasts for a while!)

Thanx again for all the info, another question to be addressed is in styling!

Cheerz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.