Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This problem has just started about a week ago. Almost every time I pull up at a junction the engine cuts out. It happens about 30 seconds after coming to a halt. There's no hunting of the revs, one moment the revs are steady at about 800 and then it just suddenly drops to zero. There's no problem restarting, it fires up every time.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi dickiboy
i have same problem except sometimes engine revs try to recover then dies. have tried cleaning throttle butterfly with temporary success but problem has come back

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Okay.
Carb cleaner in to throttle body.
" " in to idle control valve. Remove the two screws to seperate the unit. Use a bit of wd40 to stop it seizing up.
On the cam cover are two pipes, a big one and a little one.
Remove both at both ends and carb clean them through.
The little one goes to the base of the throttle body. This gets blocked. unblock with a small but long screw. attach pipe to carb cleaner and blast the hole straight through until you can see it coming through while looking down the throttle body (throttle plate held open). Check the little one isn't blocked at the cam cover end too.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Welcome to the idle air control Valve replacement club !

Make sure you have the breather mod from Vx to stop crap getting in there again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
engine cutting out

used carb cleaner to wash out breather pipes but noticed a very thin pipe leading from a vacuum sensor to the back of the throttle body.....routed under the trunking from the air filter box. behold it had worn through from chafing on the trunking. a quick repair seems to have cured the stalling fault. hope this is of some help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Someone suggested that I should try a fuel additive to clean the injectors. I bought Redex for about £3.50 and had no confidence that it would work, but since it was cheap, tried it anyway.

Amazingly within 2 days the problem has stopped.

I'm still going to take the advice posted here, but at least iys got me out of a spot for now.

Thanks to all:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts