Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 97 Vectra X20DTL and I have a starting problem. I will describe it:
It doesn`t want to start first try randomly. Sometimes it starts first try, other times it takes 6-7 tryes to start it... When it eventually starts, it starts imediately without holding the starter motor too much... It doesn`t seem to be affected by engine temperature or outside temperature... In the winter it soemtimes started on very cold days first try other times it didn`t... Now in very warm weather it sometimes starts sometimes doesn`t. It doesn`t matter if I leave it for a long time or a very very short time... Sometimes it starts first time in the morning after 24 hours siting other times if I drive it for 2 hours, stop and try to start it doesn`t start first time... I mounted a one-way valve on the diesel hose before the filter... I changed the leak-off pipes from the injectors... Nothing. I measured the curent going into the fuel injection pump (Bosch VP44) and it`s the same with ignition on when it starts and when it doesn`t... Engine light never comes on and Tester doesn`t see any issues...

What can it be? If anyone knows anything or has any advice please let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Injector seals are a common problem, they go hard and you end up with a similar effect to the leakback pipes leaking - bit of a bugger to change unfortunately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have thought of that... I don`t want to change them unless necessary because they are quite hard to replace and don`t want to replace them to find out that isn`t the cause... I don`t tink it`s the inejctor seals because if I stop the engine after it runs and try to start it in 2-3 seconds it still doesn`t want to start. It isn`t enough time for air to get through the seals...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hmm, it doesn't sound like the seals then. Isn't there some kind of vacuum pump that garages use to check the fuel system?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well... if it was air in the system shouldn`t it start 1000 times in a row if I only leave it for 2 seconds and try again? It`s not possible for a gap that wide to exist that lets that much air in in that time... It would leak a lot of diesel...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If it's intermittant, could it be an electrical fault/dodgy connector which doesn't produce a fault code. Just thinking out loud - mechanical fault would exist all the time?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.