Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I tried changing my oil and filter (paper element) but when I tried removing the oil filter, the entire aluminium housing assembly is turning, what is the best way to fix this?
How do you remove the entire housing or is there another way? when I tried turning the filter anti clockwise it just keeps turning and won't come loose.

·
Registered
543 Posts
ive heard a few people say, these housings can crack, if over-tightened, when the oil was last changed, which can make them spin like this.

there usually only made of plastic or aluminium, so only supposed to be pinched up.

due to having a big sized hex head on them (24, 30, 32, 36mm+) ... half inched sockets and bars, almost always get used, making it easy to over tighten them, and damage, if your not careful.

check this link out. might help you.

a guy in a similar spot to you (housing spinning) converted his to the canister type, using a different size thread connector.
might be worth doing, save you headache in the future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Managed to get it off after several hours. Was so tight it cracked, oil sump bolt was also very hard to remove but finally all off, now need to find replacement part or find the canister type filter adaptor. Prob hasn't had an oil change in 3+ years.

Attachments

·
Registered
543 Posts
Managed to get it off after several hours. Was so tight it cracked, oil sump bolt was also very hard to remove but finally all off, now need to find replacement part or find the canister type filter adaptor. Prob hasn't had an oil change in 3+ years.
sounds like it put up a fight.
good job. taking care of her.

ive got an adapter here, that fits most 4 cylinder engines, from that generation, part number GM 90144360, but its a different part number, to the one the guy listed in his post, ( GM 90412159 ) ..so not sure if the V6 uses a different one.

you could gamble with one, and hope it fits, or you could go straight to local vauxhall dealers, and buy the adapter and filter, over the counter. if i had to guess, theyll probably charge you somewhere around £20, for both bits.

if you go to vauxhall, take the old thread piece with you, and you can check it against the part they give you, to see if the thread pitch is the same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I bought an adaptor already, looks exactly like the one a guy used on the Omega to do this conversion so it should work on the Vectra, only 10 pound anyway. I got the adaptor and filter coming next week so let's see if works, if not then i'll contact vauxhall or find some other one on Ebay.
(How2 Convert your oil filter)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts