Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening

i'm hoping someone can help me as i've been trying for ages (8 months!) to match my silver alloys on a vauxhall tigra 2000/X as 2 of them need a re spray - spoke to vauxhall but they don't have a paint code! - all they wanted to do was "sell me some paint" that was near! - well i can do that from halfords! and have but still i can't get a good match! yes i could re spray all 4 but really i don't want to do that

can anyone help me as to what silver or a very near match the silver is - i've found 2 that are close - star silver and tiffany silver

any help here appreciated - thanks :)

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I had this problem fairly recently as I refurbed one alloy of a set and ended up spraying it 3 times to get the colour match as best I could. I have Cav GSI wheels which could be a different colour so beware, but I found from Vauxhall colours 'Astro Silver' to be the best, but the closest actual match overall is Rover 'Silver Leaf Metallic'.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

yeah i'm spraying mine for the 3rd time now! and frankly i've had enough! i found though trying to match the colour even by the cap on the spray can isn't good enough as it always looks different when the whole wheel is done (why i almost took the wheel too halfords!!) - i will check out those 2 colours though so thanks for your help :)

any more help appreciated

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
If you can't find those colours in Halfords, a local motor factors that stocks Hycote brand paints will have them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah thanks - it's just finding the colour! i don't wanna buy any more and experiment!! just wanna know the colour now

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks - i'll check that one out - i find too that when i laquer after painting the silver it turns the colour darker which is a real pain! :mad:

any way around this?

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
RoopDAscoop said:
thanks - i'll check that one out - i find too that when i laquer after painting the silver it turns the colour darker which is a real pain! :mad:

any way around this?
I found this too. As I said, Rover Silver Leaf Metallic plus lacquer from Hycote and the match is pretty darn perfect. Benn's seen the car and he never noticed lmao

In case you didn't know, don't flat or touch the metallic paint in any way before you lacquer it.

·
Administrator
61,453 Posts
bodyshops will have it,
or anywhere the surplys bodyshops,
go you one near you ask to see the colour,try it against the rim,
as 770 is a pure silver,its a clean,with no added colours,

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
If you're only spraying two just get the closes match possible and stck them on one side of the car. Its gonna take one hell of an eye to spot they're different when there on different sides!

Simps.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Benn said:
bodyshops will have it,
or anywhere the surplys bodyshops,
go you one near you ask to see the colour,try it against the rim,
as 770 is a pure silver,its a clean,with no added colours,
what make is it tho? or do you just ask for 770?

·
Administrator
61,453 Posts
htimsllib said:
what make is it tho? or do you just ask for 770?
out of the 6different paint makes we've used at work,they all use the same codes,

but we use ppg at the mo,
or max mayer,

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's also been said that Toyota's silver is a good match too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem fairly recently as I refurbed one alloy of a set and ended up spraying it 3 times to get the colour match as best I could. I have Cav GSI wheels which could be a different colour so beware, but I found from Vauxhall colours 'Astro Silver' to be the best, but the closest actual match overall is Rover 'Silver Leaf Metallic'.
Hi I'm having the sameproblem. my question is , why can't vauxhall use the colour code of the car body paint "or is that too simple".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts