Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
oh yeah, of course. top end is different isnt it....idiot.

they both appear to use the same m 6 x 40 bolt.
32 of the suckers apparently.
part number is = 11093782

are those cam cap bolts, stretch ones, are they ?
ive never bothered to replace any of those :oops:

Font Auto part Rectangle Fashion accessory Plastic

·
Registered
Astra G 3.2 V6, Vectra Hearse 1.8
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
perfect aye thank you i will find em by part number hopefully, unfortunately 32 yes.
I hope they aint expensive.

Yeah they are stretch and have used them teice now. dont wanna push my luck as i started to torque one down and it suddenly got lighter so when i unthreaded it the middle of it had stretched enormously,almost a catastrophy,phew!

After this i would defo advise replacing them. head bolts i always replace anyway but now i would do these for sure

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Wood Gas Auto part Nut Metal

This is the one.

had quick look and only guy on ebay wants £3.39 per bolt which comes to £108.48 for 32!!
Will have to keep looking

·
Registered
610 Posts
thats bolts gone full stretch armstrong.
what size torque wrench, did you use on those ?

i find it hard to get accurate readings on such lightly torqued bolts.
i think there only supposed to be about 15nm or something. ill have to check, to get exact figure.
i normally do lighter torqued bolts by hand, because anything less than 40nm on the torque wrench, always feels like its over-doing it, to me. i dont trust them myself.

ive not used a miniature 1/4 drive wrench before, but most of them only go upto about 25nm, so would probably be more accurate for light torque, vs. the larger 3/8 and 1/2 bars, which feel like over-kill to me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
lmao thats one way to put it. just an everyday torque wrench not thanos one. i was only going super gentle as its 8Nm for these bolts.
I will probably just hand tighten them also this time but i reckon i need new bolts regardless as if one did that the others may be just as old and weak.
There are the nonstretch type bolts i could buy but unsure how much to torque them down by also? they are much easier to get then these ones i have

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On a side note its already scary you know when doing headbolts sometimes they make all them creaking and cracking noises....puts the fear into me every time

·
Registered
610 Posts
try the main dealers, if theres a vauxhall nearby.
they might sell them in packs of 5, or larger, for less than other places, selling individually/
sometimes you need a business account to shop at dealers tho, which makes things complicated, for the home d.i.y'er.
youll have to see what they say.

i find headbolts go in a lot smoother, with a smear of moly grease under the lip of the bolt head / washer, and a light, even, greasing on the bottom 2 inches, of the bolt thread. tightness feels more consistent that way, and seems to be less dramatic, than oiled bolts, or dry bolts.
had those creaking noises in the past, with un-greased bolts. i dont like that, one bit, especially when 1 or 2 of the bolts are hella tighter than the others. feels like somethings wrong.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
yeah should be fine my dealers 30 miles from me but i will surely give them a phone first see what they say.
I been putting in dry but perhaps i will put a smidge of grease on also.
I will let you know on how i get on monday,fingers crosse dthey have and fingers crossed they not a fortune

21 - 28 of 28 Posts