Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok havin probs with my horn as it does not sound - it was like this when i got it

this is what i have checked

fuse is ok
does not have a relay
earth is ok
horn sounder works fine with 12v
there is permanent power going to the horn

there is no power going down the second wire when the horn button is pressed

this leaves two possibilities i think

1 - the horn switch is bust
2 - the wire between switch and horn is duff

i want to check the switch by disconecting it and bypassing it, the problem is i would need to take the centre cover off the steering wheel - which has an airbag.

haynes maual says to disconnect battery earth and leave for 1 minute before touching airbag so as not to activate it.

am i safe to take centre cover off and play with horn switch if i do this?

how easy is it to get to horn buttons once centre cap is off?

the car is a corsa gsi, but i think the steering wheel is the standard vaux airbag one with two horn buttons either side

please help

·
Registered
132 Posts
you will have to take the middle off the steering wheel, inside there should be two metal pieces and when you press the horn button they touch and sound the horn maybe there not touching, other than that i carnt see y its not working

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
I'm not 100% but once the bags is off when you reconnect the battery to test the horn it will put a fault in the memory as the circuit will be open. This will only happen if your have to put the igntion on though. Removal of a bag is straight forward,ive never had one go off even with the battery still conected.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a corsa gsi

i have looked in the haynes wiring diagram and im sure it does not show one.

all the relays seem to be in one block - next to the vaux diagnostic socket.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
woohoo

just rang vauxhall and they said it does have a relay for the horn as it has the airbag (dont see what difference this makes?)

they are £5.30 ish plus vat

the thing is they dont know where it is on the car. the mechanic said he thinks its behind the kick panel where the other fuses are.

any ideas?

are there any corsa owners who actually know this?

cheers to everyone else ;)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Mate,

I had a simular problem with an astra, no horn....

So took battery off and taped up airbag. There are two screws at the back of the steering wheel, think they are torx. remove that, airbag out.

But personally, I would remove the steering column plastic and disconnect the plug going to the rheostat (I think thats what it's called). There are 4 pins in it, 2 for horn, 2 for airbag, you can then use a multimeter to check the car wiring.

DO NOT TEST THE WIRES GOING TO THE STEERING WHEEL!

A multimeter will put out a voltage, if you test the continuinity of the airbag, you are likely to set it off.

If you are confident you know which wires are which, you can test the horn switch, but get it right first time!

Obviously I accept no responsability for anything ever.

And yes, if you connect the battery up with no airbag, a fault does register. Don't know if it goes off on it's own, not fixed the airbag fault yet!

Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
deviator said:
Mate,

I had a simular problem with an astra, no horn....

So took battery off and taped up airbag. There are two screws at the back of the steering wheel, think they are torx. remove that, airbag out.

But personally, I would remove the steering column plastic and disconnect the plug going to the rheostat (I think thats what it's called). There are 4 pins in it, 2 for horn, 2 for airbag, you can then use a multimeter to check the car wiring.

DO NOT TEST THE WIRES GOING TO THE STEERING WHEEL!

A multimeter will put out a voltage, if you test the continuinity of the airbag, you are likely to set it off.

If you are confident you know which wires are which, you can test the horn switch, but get it right first time!

Obviously I accept no responsability for anything ever.

And yes, if you connect the battery up with no airbag, a fault does register. Don't know if it goes off on it's own, not fixed the airbag fault yet!

Dave
cheers deviator

i think i am going to try and change the relay if i can ever find out which one it is and where it is located :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts