Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes i know this has been done a million times and i have searched but i couldnt find the info that i wanted.
Ive dismantled and cleaned the lifters. What i want to know is when i come to put them back together do i fill the piston part up with oil by depressing the ball bearing while submerged in oil and put it back into the lifter body or do i just put the piston into the lifter body and submerge the whole thing in oil???

Please help cos my car is in pieces and i wanna put it back together asap.

Cheers

Dave :beer:

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw your site was very helpful. You recomend putting them into hot oil. Is that the whole lifter or just the piston part?
Also i dont particularly want to warm up some oil cos my mum will kill me. Is there anything else i can do to prime them?

Cheers

·
Administrator
29,659 Posts
if you find a flat peice of clean metal, bang the tappet on the surface and the internals will slowly come out, then soak the main in some petrol,

with the insides use a thin end of some tweezers i think to push the small ball inside and all the oil will come out of that too, submerge in the fuel and push it to make sure its clean of oil

squeeze out all fuel from both parts before reassembly

then push the inside into the main and make sure its free to move

about an hour for the whole lot if that

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Once fitted back together ,immerse them in fresh oil and operate the plunger/piston to prime them..if you fill with oil first before assembly,you won't get them back together easily.
Make sure you can feel good resistance to thumb pressure before re fitting in head

·
Administrator
29,659 Posts
if you have the crappy earlier design, look very empty in side, they need more of a wollop to get the innards out as we found out!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is it necessary to prime them first?

When I had new ones fitted the mechanic just put them in with a squirt of oil on top!!

What happens if you don't prime them before you put them back in?

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
cdx1 said:
Is it necessary to prime them first?

When I had new ones fitted the mechanic just put them in with a squirt of oil on top!!

What happens if you don't prime them before you put them back in?

Lessens the risk of siezure/damage in the short time it takes for them to operate correctly (less with new ones) but wise if they have seen some mileage. It doesn't take much oil........just to make sure they have a bit of pressure in them so they work straight away

·
Administrator
29,659 Posts
we havent primed the ones we cleand but will be covering the top of the engine in oil before starting it

you need to clean then to prvent hydraulic lock inside the tappet

tom

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.