Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own an astra gsi k reg with 72000 on the clock,problem is when starting from cold i get a loud ticking noise from the top end and a lower sounding ticking from deeper down in the engine.Oil gets changed every 6000 with mobil 1,i also added slick 50 a few years ago.Seems to last for about 2 minutes then everything is fine,though it has got more prominent over the last year.Question is should i be concerned, as a local mechanic reckons its very common and should'nt be a problem if i keep below 3000 revs until i'm up to temperature.Any of you guy's got an opinion on this?.............. :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi there,

Quite normal for your engine its just noisey tappets. I would think about changing to a slightly thicker oil as the one your using is quite thin. !! Maybe a semi-synthetic.

hope this helps

Richard

G

·
matey,
my h reg cavvy gsi does the same,sounds terrible,but after about 3-4 miles of
sedate {as u do } driving it goes, so, ur not on ur own.
if it don,t stop, then it,s time to get it sorted. engine flush,new oil etc.
hope this eases ur worries

carl ;) ;)

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Yeah dont worry about it as 90% of these engines all tap for 5-10 minutes when cold. Only be worried if the tapping wither comes back or never goes away when hot.

If it does this then its a new set of tappets. Its not the worst that can happen and should only cost around £100-£150 for a set.

·
Registered
468 Posts
God im good! (for a mere woman) As soon as i read your post Depezza i thought definately tappits, i agree with everyone else, nought too worry bout unless the piggin racket wont shut up :rolleyes: Our ickle babes is just the same, once the engine is warmed up the racket stops.

Someone gimme an engine to fiddle with!!! ha hahaha hahaha ha! (evil, very evil laugh)

;) :cool:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
As Mr Bell has already said, maybe try a slightly thicker oil, But, and here`s my two-bob`s worth, I would definatly reccommend Wynnes engine flush I used it the other day (but instead of running engine at a fast idle(2 k rpm) for 15 mins like what it says on the tin, I drove home from me local halfords with it in the engine and did the oil change when I got home and the difference is amazing).

My oil light now goes out halfway through cranking instead of 3-5 secs after starting, the engine feels altogether smoother (and quieter) and seems to revv out much more easily so I`m well impressed!! :D :D

:eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :( A word of warning though, when the oil comes out of that lovely little hole in the bottom of ya engine it will be f**kin` hot and it will also come out very f**kin` fast and will invariably go everywhere and will scald the entire epidermis off the hand you use to remove the drain plug so take heed!!! :D :D
Famous quote :- "forewarned is forearmed"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers guy's i can now sleep easy at night!!.Hey CavEd wot part of liverpool you from might see you around.I'm from the north end not far from the racecourse!!!.... :D :D ;) ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fazakerley end matey,drive white astra gsi,17" polaris,lowered,splitter,lightbrows,taz sticker in back.Wot's your motor?????...... :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Alright its Paul is'nt it????

Its Chris with the white Astra GSI Turbo, used to go to school with you!!!!!

So have you moved have you, or just paranoid????

Have you heard of any Astra GSI alloys that have been for sale, cos mine got pinched out me shed a few weeks ago the little t***s!!!! :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear about your alloys m8,who the f##ks paul???.Think i seen you a couple of months ago up tower hill way???????

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Hey Richie,

If you get the tappets from vauxhall, add another £100 odd quid to that, at approx £15 each x 16 = £240 + vat.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I`m from Kirkdale but it was the racecouse retail park I got me Wynnes from!

Me motor`s a `H` plate 5 door mexico red cav SRi with Flat Eric (from the jeans ad on tv) perched on me back shelf ;) :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I`m from Kirkdale but it was the racecouse retail park I got me Wynnes from!

Me motor`s a `H` plate 5 door Mexico Red (maroon) Cav SRi with Flat Eric (from the jeans ad on tv) perched on me back shelf ;) :D :D :D

Oh and me Wheels are the Vauxhall sort of 5 spoke fan blade type thimgummybobs! What the Plod cavs have on `em!! and they`re round and they`re 15" ;) ;) :D :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Just had another quick read through the post (as you do) and I didn`t realise how many peeps were so local :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Just had another quick read through the post (as you do) and I didn`t realise how many peeps were so local :D :D :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts