Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about startin a little mobile valeting business.......1 van and equipment.....and 3 different levels pf valet at a good price....how would i go about it?

do i get a van with a water container inside it? or do i use the clients water hose (if they have 1)

i take it its not just a case of getting my eqiuipment, advertising and waiting for the calls?

and how would i go about getting the miney to start up? im not currently employed so some kind of loan would be out of the question surely?

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd be a willing employee lmao I've wanted to do this for a while really simple to do IMHO Start off with basic equiptment, and then work up as the money comes in. Like any company reall, get some leaflets made up and post door to door on rich housing estates e.t.c, plus advertise in local papers too.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
You would need to register self employed with the Inland Revenue and Customs, but they give you 3 months to do this. Plus any equiptment you buy for the job, including van, diesel cleaning equiptment anything really you get the VAT payed back to you, plus more as like a grant.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Go onto e-bay these vans sometimes pop up with all equipment included/installed!!!!

·
Registered
23,732 Posts
Go and target some local businesses with lots of company cars in their car parks.

Initially have some kind of offer where the prices are quite low.

You can afford to do this for companies because most cars are in the one place and you dont have to lose time and fuel on travelling between jobs.

Golden rule though - take some jiffy bags and put anything you remove from the car into them - you only have to lose the odd item from a car and you wont be trusted again.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good info guys thanks!!!!

i've just had another thought....can u get insured to drive any car? i was just thiking about collect and drop off service....just untill i can afford a van with a water tank inside so i can do it at their location

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i know....i was just thiking that too lmao

suppose i would have to earn their trust before i could do anything like that i suppose

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
business insurance is compulsary for public liability and insurance to drive customers cars is also easy sorted however most companies seem to want you to have premises.
i used AXA when i had my garage business top to deal with they have local sales reps who can walk you through everything.
as for the set up costs yes you can put them through as business expenses but you only get the VAT back if you register for VAT, threshold is somewhere around 60k per year turnover and you dont need to register until you reach the threshold.
i don't know about you guys but so far i never found anyone near me who cleans a car properly so if your going to do it please do it right lol.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i do a good job of my own car.....i hate watermarks!!!! i spend hours every saturday cleanin the inside, polishing all the plastics, cleaning all the glass, hoovering everywhere, then wash outside, chamois dry, wax/polish, clean wheels and any chrome bits.

i even clean inside the arches and dress the tyres. would love to out this all into practice coz i had great ideas about advertising and stuff like that

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
TBH I think you should look into your competition first, what they do and for what cost.
Around here (mk) there are a number of 'valet' companies, and it seems no matter where I go I tend to see 'hand car wash' companies a lot too, often using former petrol station forecourts.
Theres a large one in MK too.
Several large Tescos have an onsite (though unrelated to Tesco) hand car wash type places.
Also, don't be thinking that because people have £20k + to spend on a car they're going to take it to a high quality car valeter/company.
They're often the types of cars I see at the above former petrol station valet companies.
And then there is the after care, and by that I mean what/how much you are going to do in order to keep a customer happy once they've paid.
And believe me, people complain about really stupid things (IMO).
For instance, dirt/build up of dirt in the heater vents in cars.
Not all the dog hairs have been removed (really really hard to get rid of them all).
Not removing all the stains off the seats (eg pen, or when they don't want to pay for an interior shampoo)
Customers complaining seats/carpets are wet/damp after requesting an interior shampoo :rolleyes:
And the list goes on.
By all means go for it, just don't think that all cars you end up cleaning will be as well looked after as your own.
If you really want to do it, work for a valeting company first.
It'll be an eye opener.

·
Registered
591 Posts
astra-cad-astra said:
well i do a good job of my own car.....i hate watermarks!!!! i spend hours every saturday cleanin the inside, polishing all the plastics, cleaning all the glass, hoovering everywhere, then wash outside, chamois dry, wax/polish, clean wheels and any chrome bits.

i even clean inside the arches and dress the tyres. would love to out this all into practice coz i had great ideas about advertising and stuff like that
Just trying to put some perspective on the idea as I've worked in garages for 8 years so have quite a good idea of whats what, I'm not trying to dismiss it but,

Spending hours cleaning a car is unlikely to make you any money unless you are at the very top end marques of valeting/detailing, realistically you've got to be turning a car round quick 30-45 mins for a full valet, also bear in mind that company cars nowadays are'nt owned by the employers company, they are leased, and often dont give a **** for them as they just hand it back after the agreed age or mileage, when its being tarted up bumper scuffs etc it'll be given a quick clean before being shipped off to the car supermarket cowboys.

Dent dinging/paintless dent repair is where the money is at, but you've got to be well networked with garages to get the work and also be good at your job, it takes at least 3/4 years to become good, and maybe £15k for a franchise to ge tthe tools and initial training with dent devils.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the info Kruger!!!

i only thought about it when a mate got her car done inside for £25....took 2 hours....and he was booked up none stop....so i thought maybe it'd be a good earner...there isnt a mobile valet around here, that i'm aware of anyway, and the local hand carwash is ****e.....cars still dirty after takin a fiver of u

1 - 20 of 20 Posts