Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

The Black manta now has TBs!

2K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  Animal 
#1 ·
It nearly didn't, as Giles couldn't find/remember the pin to the map on the MBE, I was wary of putting them on, but the map on there is from a single seater running nearly the same spec, so I thought I'd be brave and have a go :)

I started at 7:45 last night, took off the old inlet, water pipes and ecu, built a throttle linkage, and bolted the tb's onto the car, wired it up, and it was running by 10:45, I phoned Giles and annoyed him with them, and I finished sorting out all the little bits by around 1am.

Apparantly, I can nuke the current map and replace it without knowing the pin, so I'll pop out and do that at lunchtime.

It drives ok, but I need to spend some more time setting up the TPS, fuel pressure, air at idle and putting a different map.

Roll on lunchtime :)

#4 ·
nope, not much wheelspin as it's rwd. (mattJ, remember a little race when I had your brother in the passenger seat, lmao)

I've got verniers on it now, and I've been advancing the exhaust cam slightly to stop the power tailing off at 6k.

#6 ·
You know I actually had a little bet with myself that you wouldn't finish until about 4am - so well done!

Sorry about the pin - doh! I know I'll find the bit of paper in a couple of months time, but as you're gonna stick another map on it hopefully it's irrelevant.

Just one thing - after calling me can you please call someone else afterwards! You must have accidently pressed re-dial about 10 times - this included about 1am last night, and then again at 7:26 this morning - at which time I have a nasty fgeeling you were getting dressed or something. The mental picture will forever haunt me! lmao

#8 ·
Giles said:
You know I actually had a little bet with myself that you wouldn't finish until about 4am - so well done!

Sorry about the pin - doh! I know I'll find the bit of paper in a couple of months time, but as you're gonna stick another map on it hopefully it's irrelevant.

Just one thing - after calling me can you please call someone else afterwards! You must have accidently pressed re-dial about 10 times - this included about 1am last night, and then again at 7:26 this morning - at which time I have a nasty fgeeling you were getting dressed or something. The mental picture will forever haunt me! lmao
lmao Give him the benefit of the doubt, that noise may well have been him pulling his cheeks (yes, on his face) really fast ;)

#9 ·
Excellent dude! Sorry I couldn't be around to witness the frenzy of activity! :beer:

Giles wants pictures of you getting dressed? I was only joking with that comment in the car park Giles, but if there's something you want to tell everyone.... lmao

#10 ·
:rolleyes:
Sordid and graphioc pictures of the matna engine bay should satisfy me for a couple of days.
Then I may come back and ask for a pic of you in speedos drapped accross the rocker cover. *

lmao lmao

*( note - this is NEVER gonna happen - well not unless you get Brian in the shot holding your dipstick)

#13 ·
lmao I'll take some photo's with the camera tonight and put them up then... I can't get photo's off my phone at work, unless you can get picture photos giles.

I'm sure we can do the sprawl on the bonnet and dipstick photo for you giles, I know that'd keep you busy for weeks!

#15 ·
wrong manta, John! the tb's have gone on my road car.

The chevvy v8 is far too heavy, the LS1 would be great, and I'll go for that when I've exhausted the V6 tuning options. By the time I get there, they'll be much cheaper and more available in the UK.

#18 ·
It's not a question of handling it and i know it's cheap, but I don't want it in my car. it's heavy relative to what I'm putting in, and the whole aim is to keep the front end as light as possible and to have a very low polar moment of inertia.

#19 ·
Brian_S said:
Of course, I'll have to drive it around with you in the passenger seat so that you can map it a little bit, just in case there's any hesitation or anything in the map! ;) :p

I'll get my driving gloves out...
fpmsl. Hmmmm... do I get the impression that I'll be driving the MR2 for a while?

#22 ·
Animal said:
fpmsl. Hmmmm... do I get the impression that I'll be driving the MR2 for a while?
hmmmm, good idea, glad you brought that up.. You'll need to MOT the MR2 of course! lmao

I mean, you should really get an independant view on the changes you made now. How long 'til the diff's in!?!?!? :D I bet it's great fun, and I'm sure your neighbours love you in the mornings when you start it up. ;)

Nice one! :beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.