Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the small square from under the drivers seat yesterday, basically the rear passenger footwell area. It weighed about a kilo

I mean come on.

p.s Found a REALLY easy way of getting the rementants off, you heat up a small patch of the crap at a time with a blow tourch, then wipe with tissue roll or rag, have to be quick before it hardens though. That left me with just a beigey tinge residue on the metal, bit more tissue roll and some carb cleaner and now i have spanking clean body coloured metal.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
:eek: make sure you never answer if a bird asks you to guess her weight.

I took up this stuff off my passenger foot well then gave up as it dont weigh that much.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WeeKenny said:
as it dont weigh that much.
well yeah it does actually, hence my post :p

That was the last remaining square of the crap not including on the transmission tunnel which also yesterday. Looking nice and clean now.

Need to get down the weigh station again.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
:rolleyes: I'm gonna go weigh that square of it I took out of my passenger foot well as it took me ages and tbh I didnt think it was heavy enough to justify the hassle, but I suppose any free performance gain is worth having.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah but that stuff covers the whole floor pan, all 4 foot wells, transmission tunnel, under the rear seats and round the rim of the spare wheel well. Must be a good 5-10kg total. Nearly the same as a power steering pump.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
you forgot one thing Oddball............... I'm a lazy git :p

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
been there and done every little last bit... I think that week I was pretty grumpy.

next up - remove the dash and remove all the sound proofing there - another 5kgs or so :)

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
it does weigh a fair bit considering what it is - i got a bin full that must weigh about 10kgs

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Blow torch, scraper and an afternoon spare. Excelent fun. You'll be high on the fumes for the rest of the day. :p

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
I started off with a blow torch. Then I went out and bought a £25 hot air gun. Seems to work better.
I've resorted to wire brush on drill to get the last bit out. It leaves a really good rustproof surface - the rubber and glue sort of get polished in.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
yeah i used a hot air gun and a paint scraper/chisel - seemed to work ok for me took about 3hrs to do the lot front/rear and a random bit in the bulkhead :confused:

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Bah, wimps. Blowtorch all the way!

Get a patch just bubbling.
Stop heating and scrape.
Repeat.

Comes off as one big sheet. Just watch your eyebrows when the torch flares up from pointing it down too much. :D

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
It's slow but satisfying.
I think Oddball and myself have a similar timeline on this. ie: he stripped the car out 8 months ago (or more?) and he's still taking bits of soundproofing out.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, all done now though. Uncovered some nasty rust aroudn thsoe rubber bungs in the rear footwells, took drill+flail sanding reel to that, bit of underseal.

my prefered scraper was a putty knife, nice and bendy but stiff enough to ease under the mats.

Door cards are now gone, centre trim and lower centre dash binnacle are gone.

oil temp, oil pressure, water temp guages are in and mounted.

Its all coming together.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ChrisB said:
when the torch flares up from pointing it down too much. :D
i was getting that, extremely weird.

Also quite fun burning off dust instead of sweeping up, crackle fizz.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts