Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since buying the car the temp guage has appeared not to work, however whilst waiting in traffic today the gauge began to read a temp it went as far as the first bar.

i thought the gauge might not be working first im not so sure now!!

is it the temp sender of the gauge!!

does anyone have an idea what it might be?

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
change the sender. Its only £6 form your local motor factor or sommit like that. Its under the top rad hose.

5 minute job.

L

·
0 Posts
Look where the top rad hose joins the engine, there will be 2 conectors, Pull off the one with the blue wire thats attached by a spade conector.

With the ignition on earth the wire onto the housing etc and the gauge should go up to the top.

If it does the gauge is ok but the senders not.

If it does go up try cleaning up the sender and spade conection first as they do get coroded, and with it starting to move once before I would say thats whats wrong with it

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
> is it the temp sender of the gauge!!

on the c20xe, there are 2 temp sensors, one is the CTS (coolant temp sensor), this is a 2-pin sensor and the ECU reads it. The other is a 1-spade sensor and is for the temp gauge on the dash ONLY. The two sensors sit right next to each other, screwed into the themostat housing which is easy to get at, see pic below.

The 1-spade temp sensor is the one oyu want, simply clean the conntacts and spade and reconnect. Its common for the spade connector to come off.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the pic, ive done lee's test to check the gauge and that works fine

the connection were very corruded so i replaced the spade connecter and cleaned off the connecter on the temp sender

we'll see if that works if not i'll replace the temp sender!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts