Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an interesting problem and perhaps it's just me being really daft. Before I put the head back on this X 14XE I set piston 1 to TDC. Now I come to check the crank sprocket timing mark with the mark on the belt backplate and I find that the sprocket is advanced by about 45 degrees. Perhaps someone could point out what I've done wrong?

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
yeah your crank sproket is buggered as the bonding bedtween the rubber and the steel is failing and it's moving round on it

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
cheers but if it's the main pulley that carries the drive belts for the alt and PAS the same as the big blocks it sounds fooked. it's keyed to the timing sproket, so evn if you managed to put it on wrong it would be 90 deg out not 45 if it has 4 holes to bolt on with

TBH i made my own timing marks as the kent cam don't match up to any of the factory marks and having the head skimmed threw it out a bit more too

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
might be the woodruff key has popped out the back. they are a right bugger to get right. take it off to make sure then try again and reset TDC

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
just sounds like timings a mile out!

id line both up on there own. put belt on and tighten it. turn crank round twice and then both marks on top and bottom pulley should match up perfectly.

if not timings way out again.

also make sure both pulleys are spinning and the belts not slipping......

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Worked out the problem. I suspect when I put the sparkplug in, the compression forced the piston down. Set the timing mark to line up and the piston was at TDC at that point.

For posterity's sake, here's a pic of what I was on about:

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
why did you put spark plugs back in as you set timing? (sounds like you lined up timing, put plugs in then tightened belt?? before noticing it was out?)

ive never bothered to take the plugs out on belts ive done. not worth the hastle imo!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I wasn't anywhere near that. I am putting the engine back together. I put the sparkplugs in to stop muck getting in the cylinders. I was just about to refit the cams so I thought I'd check the position of piston no. 1. I got confused when I found that the timing mark and TDC appeared to be out of alignment.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.