Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys 2l 16v ecotec has a single tappet thats clicking away to itself,

anyone suggest an easy fix for sortig this as its starting to bug me now lol

whats involved in changing the tappets on the eco its not an engine i'm familiar with (yet)

any thoughts/advice

·
Registered
592 Posts
had the same on my cally turbo single tappet tapping away ...what i done was had a good engine flush and put some castrol magnetec in it . was fine for to mnths then it came back so in the end i had new lifters in it .. you could also try some hydrolic lifter cleaner that sometimes solves it but not in my case .......
cam belt off and cams out to do it 3-4 hours labour maybe not sure with the ecotec engine....try lifter cleaner first if no joy try good flush and new oil if still tapps new lifters then

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
easiest way would be to remove all the lifters and clean them out with some solvent then reassemble them and hope it clears, lifter might be worn to excess tho and simply continue to click

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so before i break the spanners out do you actually have to take the cams out to access the lifters?????

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Not really as the cams are right under the cover and don't take long to take out. Then you just need a sucker to pull the tappet out.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh the joys lol

think maybe a shot of the old flushing agen first :)

its in for its mot at 1 so may end up as a breaker yet :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
not so nasty at all with the cams, more nasty with the timingbelt. Ecotec engines have the nasty habit regarding timingbelt failure, a incorrectly fitted/adjusted belt doesn`t improve the situatin. If you have the Haynes manual for your car, then it will be a great aid in fitting/adjusting the belt. And remember to loosen the camshaftsprocket bolts when the belt is fitted, otherwise valve/piston contact may occur. Basically you should:

1. remove the aircleanerbox and the auxilary drivebelt, see the tensioner for the drivebelt (slacken the springtension with a spanner) Rely on the timingmark on the cranshaftwheel for the timing belt (there is a pointer on the oilpumpflange, and marks on the cranshaftpulley) Although the rubberdamper may have moved on the wheel and resulting in a incorrect alignment so remove the cranshaftpulley.

2. The mark on the cranshaft toothed wheel should point straight down, you will see the recessed mark. Then check that the marks on the camshaftpulleys point agains the marks on the camshaftcover, always rotate the engine in the running direction. When all marks are aligned then you have the engine at TDC. Now remember to loosen those camshaftsprocket bolts.

3. Now you should rotate the engine approx. 60 deg BACKWARDS, this will position the camshafts so that even pressure is located on the shafts. Slacken the timingbelt tensioner and remove the belt. Now use a spanner to lock the camshaft and remove the bolts you did loosen earlier.

4. The camshaft bearingcups are loosened from the middle and spirally, lookin from the timingbeltend as follows:1-5-2-4-3 . Slacken only one turn at a time and like this work through the caps in the order above, until tension is released.

5. Ideally use a valvegrinding tool to remove the tappets, fit new tappets as cleaning seldom works.

6. Fit the camshafts and tighten the caps one turn at a time in the order
3-4-2-5-1, fit new oilseals in the front end of the camshafts. Initially tighten the bolts to the camshafts. You shold tighten the bearingcaps to 8 Nm on a X20XEV Ecotec engine. Refit the rockercover, tigthten to 8 Nm

7. Now CAREFULLY align the marks on the rockercover and the camshaftpulleys, also on the cranshaft mark back to sraight down. Be carefully with the camshaft alignment, as there is tension on the camshafts and the belt isn`t fitted: the camshafts may spring aroud and cause piston/valve contact if they are overturned during the alignment process!!!

8. Ideally you should replace the timingbelt+tensioner+idlerwheels also renew the waterpump. Refit the idlerwheels and tighten to 25 Nm. The new waterpump should be tensioned to 20 Nm if M8 bolts and 30 Nm if M10 bolts. refit the puller and use a 7mm hexagonal bit to positiopn the tensioner so that it allows the belt to be fitted. Fit the belt around the crankshaftpulley/waterpump and the camshaftpulleys. I have found it most easy to fit the belt lastly over the right hand idlerpulley, it can be a little bit stiff to fit the new belt. Not so hard at all!!

9. With belt fitted rotate the tensioner arm anti-clockwise to its stop and tighten the tensionerbolt. Check that the timingmarks are still correctly aligned, if they are then loosen the bolt and adjust the pointer to the correct place (marked on the tensioner)

10. Rotate the engine, in the correct direction, 720 deg and re-check the pointer. Readjust if necessary, rotate again and check. You may have to repeat this process many times. When the tensioner remains at the correct position when marks aligned, then tighten the tensionerbolt to 25 Nm. Please be sure that you have fitted the belt centrally on the sprockets, otherwise it may ware out fast and possibly break in service!!

11. Refit the auxilary drivebelt-pulley, tighten those four M6 bolts to 20 Nm, then refit the auxilarybelt, offcourse you will have to refit the timingbeltcover befor the belt... :)

12. fit the aircleanerbox and lower the car. you may recheck the timingbelt tension after 300 miles or so, the effort to remove the aircleanerbox+aux.drivebelt+timingbeltcover is quite small when compared to a timingbeltfailure!!

This is the basic method to renew the timingbelt/tappets on a Ecotec- engine. If you have any doubt at all about fixing this by your own, then use the service of a garage. You will be ensured in case that the belt brakes in service, caused by a bad work!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts