Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This may be the easiest question out there but worth asking (and getting some stick for it) than spending money and regretting it.

I’ve seen a 2.3 XE engine for sale but it’s mounted inline / with a rwd setup in a completely different car.

I’m not bothered about wiring looms, packaging, exhaust routing etc etc as it’s going in a project car but if I bought it and wanted to mount it transverse to an F20 (or similar). Will it connect up? Is there such a thing as an inline XE and a transverse XE ie different crank / clutch setup / length etc that doesn’t make it possible?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
486 Posts
There was only one basic layout for the C20XE (although a few changes were made through the production run). It was originally designed for transverse mounting, but so many have been turned and used for RWD applications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was only one basic layout for the C20XE (although a few changes were made through the production run). It was originally designed for transverse mounting, but so many have been turned and used for RWD applications.
Many thanks for the reply and for not ripping my lack of knowledge / naivety to shreds . I thought that was the case but thank you for confirming.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Yup, some minor detail changes over the years, which means potential for a bit of mixing and matching for the best setup,
There are a couple (at least) things that may trip you up, still. Most RWD conversions use a different sump, which may need to be changed, and the clutch friction plate(s) will probably have the wrong spline, so need replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts