Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped car off for MOT at 8am this morning, drove past again at about 10 and it wasnt in the car park so i assumed they must have been doing the test. Lady phones and tells me its done and passed "wooohoo alround"

Just picked it and up paid for it (£39.50 :eek: ) go in the car, notice they did about 30 miles in, its filthy when it went in it was spotless, and there is a fail sheet in my window.

So i have a fail sheet with "o/s dip aim off" as the only fail, but they also issued me with a pass certificate aswell. Does this mean they adjusted the headlight aim and passed it anyway or did they screw up giving me a MOT certificate.

Sorry but this is the first time our house has probably ever MOT'd a car so im not sure of the goings on.

Are you allowed so many faults and still pass or ........?

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
That 30miles seems dead cheeky to me.... if you are certain about it challenge em!

And as long as you have a pass certificate.... you have an MOT.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
the rules state they are not allowed to alter anything on the car during the examination. So they had to fail it by law, but its such a trivial thing they then adjust it and write out your new pass certificate.

I had exactly the same thing with the rear numberplate bulb. Some people are reall sticklers for procedure thats all.

I remember a few years back they would adjust headlight aim, fiddle with the carb, replace bulbs all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
30 mile drive is well cheeky, as for the light 90% of MOT stations will adjust it for you.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
30 miles is alot but remeber they do but it on rollers for brake tests and immision test and they have to have a warm engine for imimsions

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
There is no way on this earth they could tot up 30 miles for testing the brakes or speedo etc, about 1/2 is max, they usually take it round the yard and reverse it etc to see if speedo works and the rollers wouldnt notch up 30, probably another 1/2, they dont drive it for half an hour to total the mile sup to test the brakes.

Suspect someone liked your car and cruised in it at lunch time.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
30 miles extra on the clock is totally unaceptable.

Do they test 'on site' or do they take it somewhere? The brake test puts zero miles on the clock - it takes all of 20 seconds with the wheels rolling at 2mph.

However, if the tester wants to, he can test drive the car in the interst of passing the test. For example, if the brake tester was faulty. BUT, we're talking a minute up & down the road.

Take it back and ask 'em why.

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They dont have a yard so to speak, so they would need to take it out on the roads.

Im not that bothered now i guess, nothing is damaged its just dirtier than it was when it went it.

I guess its more the principal of the thing.

Luckily i took my stereo face of, so they could have a play with that :D

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
30 miles is quite acceptable....i take it that your car is fitted with a CAT??
Would ya rather have it fail on emmisions because the system was cold ??

Al

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yeah but normally they just let it sit there until it gets hot enough. The probe that goes down the dipstick tube is a temp. sensor, which tells Mr. MoT man that it's hot enuf.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Yeah but normally they just let it sit there until it gets hot enough. The probe that goes down the dipstick tube is a temp. sensor, which tells Mr. MoT man that it's hot enuf.
Yeh...ok...........and lots would fail done that way.

Mr MOT man was prob doing a favour(i know).Ive seen many fail and then pass after a red hot thrash.

Al

1 - 20 of 32 Posts