Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just browsing some old posts and came across one that mentioned on a wishlist the possibility of having 1st and 2nd gear as straight cut and the rest normal.

Is this possible? Recommended?

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
He means if the main shaft through the box has all the cogs intergrated onto it, then you can buy them individually, although you could always get a new shaft custom made to your requirements if you had the 10s of £K you would need.

Minis have a SC first gear and then 3 helical gears.

Chip

·
Registered
764 Posts
Production boxes tend to have one shaft with the gears fixed to it and another with the gears rotating around it. When you select a gear it is connected to this shaft through the synchroniser. Each gear cog is a separate item, but on the fixed shaft the gears tend to be machined into it. This makes it cheaper for volume production. If you buy a gear kit from Quaife, Tran-X, whoever, this shaft is splined and the gears are made individually and slid on to it. This means that you can play with ratios, replace broken gears etc. The OEMs don't want to waste time putting these together and they can afford a tool that does all the gears in one go. Quicker to cut them this way as well.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
waas also gony say 600 sounds a bit cheap. for 7000 you could have a sequential box, but you'd need to mod the bell housing to fit the engine.

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
lmao yeah for the sequntial box. thats what quaffe quoted me anyway. its a tidy bit of kit but its way down my list of toys.

rodgerq

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
mmm, thats their 6 speed jobbie isnt it? lovely

i've got a straight cut gear set, and yeah they're a fair bit more than 600 quid! but even this comes with one integrated shaft

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
yeah it is a 6spd sc box. cant rmember what its rated at but i do remember thinking it wasnt that much for the money. probably be more than enuh for any vauxhall application though.

jonix, if i won the lottery i'd still have a nova. although it would be a lotus build space frame with removeable carbon body shell and some sort of supercharged v engine(the biggest that would fit) driving 4 wheels.

rodgerq

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
the 600 was just for the gears a think, cant remeber where the advert was, i will have a look for it. it was just for the gears you had to fit them in the standard gear box housing. Probably got it wrong then and its some crap make

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
ally astra said:
the 600 was just for the gears a think, cant remeber where the advert was, i will have a look for it. it was just for the gears you had to fit them in the standard gear box housing. Probably got it wrong then and its some crap make

cadburys ?? :D lmao

rodgerq

·
Registered
830 Posts
Funny mine cost that much. Mind you I know the right people ;-)

·
MIGClub Member
14,789 Posts
rodgerq said:
waas also gony say 600 sounds a bit cheap. for 7000 you could have a sequential box, but you'd need to mod the bell housing to fit the engine.

rodgerq
If I had the money I'd get this and SBDs top spec 280bhp XE into a striped Mk3 Astra..... hmmm... 12s quarters in an NA FWD car anyone? :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.