Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas...
when i turn my stereo up (which is currently un amped) there display flickers off and on or goes dull as if its draining to much power...
how can we stop this..

my kenwood never did this....

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
what stereo is it and where are your power cables coming from the earth and the ignition and memory power

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
How healthy is your battery? Is it up to the job? \\\this is wot mine used to do. A nice new Optima sorted that...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
benhelen said:
what stereo is it and where are your power cables coming from the earth and the ignition and memory power
its an american mp3 player i got in there. only does this when you crank it up or connect more speakers to is (ie all 4 speakers on)

the cables that were used on the standard loom are what the stereo uses so cant tell you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chameleon said:
How healthy is your battery? Is it up to the job? \\\this is wot mine used to do. A nice new Optima sorted that...
aint got a clue, was on there when i bought it before xmas....
how much these bats then ?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Use a multimeter on the battery and check the voltage both with the engine off and running. Failing that any decent garage should have one of them big ****yoff battery testers.

Optimas aint cheap (about £180) but they are pretty indestructable and go on and on and on..........

After the third battery death on my car I bit the bullet and go one. It's like I have new window motors, heaters etc. It also lets me play with the ICE without fear of not starting.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
your speakers might be dragging 2ohms out of your stereo which will be a power drainer you need to double check ALL your wires i allways add a single earth on its own and a perm feed straight from the batt my alpine used to fade then i did the above and no problems my kenwood i have now is wired like that plus i am running five amps and a crossover and it is fine try it :) :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
benhelen said:
your speakers might be dragging 2ohms out of your stereo which will be a power drainer you need to double check ALL your wires i allways add a single earth on its own and a perm feed straight from the batt my alpine used to fade then i did the above and no problems my kenwood i have now is wired like that plus i am running five amps and a crossover and it is fine try it :) :)
so you say i run a earth to an earth point and a perm live to the bat to replace the live from the ignition or somit else ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts