Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mk4 astra.

lost power steering, lost speedo gauge, abs light, traction control light, spanner light, all came on at same time.

this happened about 5 mins after i was hammering on the brakes repeatedly, to try scrape some surface rust off the discs.

you think this would be the speed sensor, on the n/s/f wheel ? ... maybe holding onto a load of metal filings, or rust, perhaps.

my scan tool is a piece of crap, its saying no errors.

·
Registered
501 Posts
The symptoms you have are often related to a battery or main fuse connection issue, maybe the hard braking has dislodged something? It can also sometimes be the alternator on it's way out but it's probably worth checking the big fuses next to the ABS pump and other main power connections at the battery.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The symptoms you have are often related to a battery or main fuse connection issue, maybe the hard braking has dislodged something? It can also sometimes be the alternator on it's way out but it's probably worth checking the big fuses next to the ABS pump and other main power connections at the battery.
ok, cheers mate, ill look into that.
i did actually tap into one of those switched lives there, to power my rad fan.
the small 3 pin connector, that sits on the outside front of that fuse box.
i think that connector might power the pas pump ?
might have something to do with it. abnormal power readings, may have caused the ecu to throw a wobbly.

do you know of anywhere else i can get a switched live from, that isnt inside the car ?
i found a switched live behind the glovebox, thats used for optional cd changer, but getting a wire through into the engine bay, doesnt look so easy. looks like the heater motor has to come out, to access the big pass-through loom block, which im not sure is sealed or not.

ive got a spare hour, later today, ill check the speed sensor on the nsf hub, and those fuses (y)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
main fuses in the bay were good.
alternators charging at 13.9v.
n/s/f speed sensor didnt appear to have any crap on it.
moved onto the fusebox inside the car, and found 3 blown fuses.

not sure which ones they were, i couldnt be bothered to check online, i just changed them.
steering and speedo is alive again, and dash lights are gone, which is good, but i want to know why they popped randomly.

i think tapping my rad fan, into the pas circuit, probably overloaded something, and popped the fuse(s).
ive disconnected my wire from the circuit, and ran it through a permanent live, temporarily, untill i can figure out where to get power from.
hopefully the car doesnt piss its pants again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts