1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting problem part 2 solution found hurrahhh

Right same story as yesterday
come out to car and again won't start :rolleyes:
did not have time to muck about so i robbed my mums car.
now after work i done the fault code test and it came back with a 93 which means hall effect switch (low voltage) what the bloody hell is that?
any gen on what and where it lives? and has anyone got an idea of cost.
cheers
duncan

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom
i have been doing some reasearch on the net as i knew feck all about hall sensors and what i found out from a volvo site is the hall sensor triggers the ecu to start supplying fuel/spark when you crank the engine this was on early 700 series volvo's that run same version of motronic as our astras. So fingers crossed a replacement will see the car running lmao

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
right replaced dizzy with known good unit still same problem no spark at plugs :confused:
i pulled the coil lead and earthed it out but was only getting a orange spark not a blue one as i would have expected so my thinking is faulty coil which i assume could give the low voltage hall sensor error code?
anyone got some gen on this?

Also could someone try to see if they get voltage at the hall sensor plug with ignition on as i don't get any but then i think this would just send a pulse to the ecu so i don't think its an issue. but would like confirmation.

any miggers down my way able to lend a hand? (south herts near junction 17 m25)
really falling out of love with this car :dog:

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Odders
good old trial and error lmao
i tried replacement (used £20) dizzy first which made no difference so i then rechecked the ignition circuit this showed me the problem was a very weak spark due to either the coil or the module as i knew the cap/leads/rotor arm were all good as they are new and only done 1000 miles.
So armed with my lucky garage find coil and module i tried them together first off car started instantly (as it should)
then substituted coil for old one, but kept new module car started again
so just to be sure tried the old module and result was car had weak spark again and would not start or even try to start. so my thinking on this is i was getting the low voltage error code because the module was at fault.
will get a new one just to be sure next week but overall i am a happy bunny again. trying not to think about the fact i had the part to fix it days ago sitting in the garage lmao
cheers
duncan
ps i think a common probs article should be gathered on these cars especially as they are getting older.

·
Registered
216 Posts
strange code for a hall sensor, code 93 for a astra F 2.0 16v made from yr 1983-01 is the cam position (CSM) sensor, problem is voltage low and cause is wireing short to earth or CSM...
then there is the 1.8/2.0 16v from yr 1993-96 and code 93 is the immobiliser control moduel fault being no signal icm moduel duff.
im glad you sorted it though and the spark amplifier is a common cause for your problem the yellow spark is a give away, the hall effect sensor is the early system trigger the new one is the cam/crank sensor

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carman
the car is a 1991 mk2 gte16v and i matched the error code to information off www.topbuzz.co.uk and they list the 93 error code to be low voltage on hall sensor.
My thinking was the low output from the ignition amplifier was causing the error code? what do you think?
glad i managed to track it down having work with electric's for 12 years helped a little lol
still give me points and carbs any day lmao
cheers
duncan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.