Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car refused to start yesterday, 1995 calibra ecotec.was late for work so had to bump start it, battery voltometer was then showing full charge. car parked for 7 hours at work, started first time, again battery showing full charge so battery must be ok. tried to start it this morning, nothing, just a continuous clicking noise, and all the dash light flickering in unison with the clicking noise.
starter motor? starter motor is about the only thing i haven't had replaced that is to do with starting problems, have a heavy duty battery and a new alternator.
cheers
scott

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
could be a dodgy earth, probably the one off the gearbox to chassis, try clipping a jump lead to the body of the starter(or the block if you cant get to it) then to earth on the batt, then try, if not maybe dodgy power wire to the starter solenoid or even ignition switch problem

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whereabouts roughly is the starter motor on an ecotec calibra? i know it s a nightmare to get to.
cheers

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
underneath the inlet manifold, on the gearbox side on the back of the engine, will be a bit trick to get a jump lead on it, try cleaning a spot on the block to get a good earth and clipping the lead to that

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
tried to start it this morning, nothing, just a continuous clicking noise, and all the dash light flickering in unison with the clicking noise.
That is the solniod for the pinion engaging and disengaging. There is not enough current to turn the starter motor over. So it could be

1) low or deadbattery
2) bad GND connection, but that is supplied by the engine block, check GND connection on batt.
3) bad 12v connection on back of the starter motor.

> starter motor?

A faulty starter motor usualy just means one click from the solniod and it gets stuck, quite common probem, usualy a sharp tap/hit with a hammer unjams the solniod and it should work, then you save your pennies up for a new starter motor in the man time.

> whereabouts roughly is the starter motor on an ecotec calibra?

same place it is on the c20xe/let engines as the x20xev uses the same block. Access is from under the car, starter motor is located on the back of the block under the inlet manifold.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alan when i bump started the cally this morning straight away the voltometer was showing just over 14 volts, surely if the battery was dead or dying this wouldn't happen would it? so it must be a bad earth or the starter motor itself?also the fault mainly occurs when the car has been sat for a condsiderable length of time, usually overnight.it happened first thing yesterday morning and also first thing this morning, but drove fine for the rest of the day after it had been bump started in the morning.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
try the jump lead thing first, its easy and erradicate s the earth problem, then check what voltage you get at the terminals on the starter as you crank it, this will rule out power supply faults, if its not either of them, change the starter

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok this morning car alarm was going off, tried to turn it off without success. got in car andturned key in ignition, dash lights hardly lighting up, battery totally dead, but weirdly enough, no glow from battery light on dash. something is draining my battery, it surely cannot be faulty, its a heavy duty battery bought 3 months ago from halfords. this is also my 3rd battery in 2 years, so what could possibly be draining the life out of my battery?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
auto electrician just been, he put another battery on car to test for a drain, discovered one coming from the interior light. after setting the alarm the interior light is supposed to go out after 10 seconds or so, mine was just staying on thus flattening the battery.will i have to buy a complete new light unit?

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
or just take the bulb out??? bit of a bodge, but will get you by for now, i would think its a fault witht the alarm rather than the light, but i could be wrong[/ambiguous]

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no mate it's the light fitting, as the light doesn't go out when you just shut the doors, with the alarm off.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
ah i see, thought you meant it didnt dim witht the alarm after ten seconds, well it may be the switch in the door, cos thats where the light gets its earth from, so maybe check that out

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gonna try it with the interior light disconnected for a few weeks, if my battery stays healthy well i guess thats the problem solved.are there any other car interior lights that fit the calibra?reason i ask is the calibra one is pretty ugly and basic :(

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
have you got a tinted one? if not get one of those from a higher spec vectra, you can get them with two map reading lights incorporated into the unit too

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hi mate
will the light from a higher spec vectra fit straight in or will it meed modding, and are the basic connections the same? mine isn't tinted, just plain and dull.

·
Registered
19,223 Posts
it'll physically fit straight in, but you may need to add an exta 12v feed for the map reading lights, but you can just add a link to the other power supply, and uprate the fuse a little

1 - 17 of 17 Posts