Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
28 May 2010

It might well be hibernating this year but it’s not getting forgotten about. A mate of mine who works for a certain airplane engine manufactures based in Derby (no names but I'm sure some will know who I mean) offered to do me a huge favour. My Courtenay billet flywheel needed the clutch face machining as it’s 2nd hand but had covered only a few hundred miles. The clutch that had been used was a early X25XE clutch and so was 228mm diameter. I now have a brand new Y26SE clutch which is 240mm diameter to be fitted so wanted the face very lightly machining. He’s had the flywheel a few weeks now and has just e-mailed me this picture of it having a nip and tuck :) I’ll get some more when I get it back.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
29 May 2010

I collected my flywheel last night and was told it didn’t actually need a skim as there was 0.03mm step from the new face to the step where the clutch bites but it was done anyway. I was told it had slight hard spots on the clutch face which is no bad thing and these can be seen in the pics.

The skimmed face which had next to nothing removed as they work to rather tight tolerances in the aerospace industry.

The blobs you can see are the hard spots I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
25 March 2010

It’s been a while since I’ve done any updates but it’s still here and nice and warm in my integral garage.

Main reason for disturbing the deep sleep is that I’ve been putting off a job for a long time and thought I’d finally crack on.

When I disconnected it there was no noise at all so it was well and truly dead. I’ve left the siren in place and taped up the end of the loom plug to waterproof. As you can see from the date, bottom left, it’s the original siren.

A cheeky under cover shot. The cable is for my Accumate battery maintainer.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
6 July 2013

Not exactly a car update but sort of related and no it won't be coming out to play this year before anyone asks.

After having the bi-annual boiler service done last month I thought it was about time I fitted the posh flooring a good friend of mine had acquired from work a couple of years ago. They are old used industrial heavy duty plastic stuff that their various machines sat on so more than up to the job of supporting the ST200. I tried cleaning it with various solutions but without going to town and sanding it I decided to leave as is as it’s under the car anyway.

So here goes…ST200 removed and plonked behind my gates. Leaving a nice clear garage floor to work on.

Initial lying of the front ramp and centre tiles.

Couple of evening later and hey presto, all done.

Finally back where it should be, the house paper weight in hibernation prior to getting its cover replaced and heart monitor attached.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
6 July 2013

I had a bit of an issue back in 2002 and mashed my rear nearside wheel and ever since it’s been sat in our spare room. After having a chat with the father-in-law earlier this year a plan was hatched and he made us a custom oak table. I then secured a sheet of tempered glass for the top, secured some hidden lights on the underside and now get to stare at the wheel every evening. I have thought about getting it refurbed to make it look pretty but it holds memories so for now it’s staying as is.

As it is with a stand so it sits at an angle.

Let there be light.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
1 March 2016

A couple of weeks ago I made a start on getting the old girl road worthy for 2016 and got the car jacked up and removed the rear box.

The reason being was it’s one of the first batch of Milltek systems that Courtenay Sport commissioned and for some weird reason VXR was etched on the tips, the silly fools. More on this later.

Wheels removed as the brake fluid needs flushing. It’s a bit tight working in a standard sized garage but just possible.

The bad boys are well over due an overhaul so will be removed.

The wheels require the funky stainless bolt in valves replacing as they all leak so all weights have been removed and I’m off to my local wheel man I always use in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
1 March 2016

Last week I set about removing the VXR logos on the tail pipe tips. After a chat with a friend I started with 600 grit wet and dry, then 1000, moving on to 1500 and finally 2000. After this a good polish with Autosol. The pics don’t do it justice as they look much better in the flesh and the logos have gone.

Next job was to get the front caliper pistons moving as I know the inboard pistons are tight. So with my lovely assistance, thanks wifey, I set about giving it large.

Next job was to cast the wife aside and use my trusty Eezi-bleed I’ve had for years and get all the old brake fluid out.

It was really dark and the front circuits had fluid from 2004 as the last time it was on the road in 2009 I daren’t bleed the fronts as the bleed nipples were seized tight and the threads can strip in the calipers.

With the fluid flushed the front AP CP5200 calipers were removed.

I dug out a few spares I have so I could see exactly what I had. Back row are the ones off my car, middle row are a spare pair that require stripping and sorting at some point, front row are damaged stripped ones I bought that came with a few decent goodies.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
1 March 2016

An hour or so later the pistons and seals were stripped.

The outboard seals were fine but the inboard dirt seals (thinner first seal) were all damaged and the inner pistons were a pain to remove on the bench. Just need to clean the seal recesses out and bosh new seals in once they arrive.

All the old seals, note the bottom row and the crusty seals.

Pistons removed from my caliper on the right, spares on the left which are all perfect luckily.

Damaged three pistons removing them as they didn’t want to break free.

I managed to get a ¼ turn with the bleed nipples, just enough to bleed the old fluid out. They can strip the alloy thread in the caliper so I was scared about fully removing them. I carefully worked them lose using WD40 with lots of prays and patience.

After they were out I found my spark plug thread chaser was perfect for caliper thread cleaning M10x1.0.

Next up was to use my thread file and clean up the bleed nipples which aren’t in bad condition actually. I can now screw the bleed nipples all the way in the caliper by hand and they tighten up nicely.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
1 March 2016

A few posts back you might have noticed a billet flywheel and new clutch kit. I thought it was about time I fitted said flywheel so the strip has begun and the Milltek downpipes are now off.

Front bumper and arch liners removed. More to follow soon so keep watching.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
13 March 2016

I finally got time on the car today so continued removing stuff. The front struts, hubs, shafts and wishbones will be getting a lick of paint to freshen them up. I also drained the gearbox fluid which looked surprisingly fresh.

I then got my engine bay brace setup and called it a day as my belly required filling.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
26 March 2016

Spent today removing yet more stuff and finally the gearbox made a break for freedom.

A little more unbolting and clutch and stupidly heavy 15kg flywheel were removed.

All looks good in there.

Old meets new. The billet flywheel looks way to nice to hide in the engine and should be a piece of wall art.

Billet flywheel and later spec 240mm LUK clutch fitted.

New release bearing fitted so the gearbox can be refitted tomorrow.

I left the car like this for the night, held together with straps and chains.

The subframe will get a good clean and refresh. The track rod ends will be replaced so I’ll have fun removing the old ones.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
27 March 2016

Spent this morning giving the gearbox a good clean before we had a rough and tumble then it finally slipped into position and got bolted back on. I fitted the equal length shaft and n/s shaft so I can get the gearbox fluid in tomorrow.

I then removed the ARB, rear engine mount and steering rack from the subframe before giving it a good clean and finally a lick of paint.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
28 March 2016

Today’s task was a final coat of paint on the subframe which I got done first thing. Next of my jobs was to free the TRE (Track Rod Ends) from the steering arms.

Both were a little crusty and hadn’t been adjusted since 2002.

I used a wire brush, WD40, hammer and Mr Vice and the ends came off quite easily with little fighting.

I them moved into the garage and onto the gearbox for fluid install. For info the F25 takes 1.9 litres and both the drain and level plugs should be torqued to 50NM. It’s a pain accessing the drain and level plugs with the subframe installed so this is why I filled the box now. Pic below shows the level plug removed.

I them did a bit of head scratching for the best and easiest way to fill the box and mangled together this filling solution. I used the box breather mod that MSD installed, you can see my pipe with a jubilee to seal it on.

I had a tub of Millers CRX75W90NT on my shelf as I no longer use it in my track car so in it vent. It’s a lovely colour but stinks.

Final job of the day was to get the clutch master cylinder removed. Hayes says to remove the servo to give access, I don’t think so.

The m/c in all its glory. To remove the clutch pedal clevis pin in was headfirst upside down on the driver’s seat, not the most comfortable position.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
29 March 2016

Back at work now so smaller progress this evening with the subframe paint dried I refitted everything back on.

I washed and cleaned the front arch liners ready for refitting.

Wishbones fully refreshed with new ball joints installed.

I noticed the rear cam cover was weeping a tiny amount so I’ll be replacing it before I build the rest of the engine up. Having a poke through my stock I found a brand new genuine rocker gasket and O rings. I also found I had a pair of brand new genuine drop links.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
30 March 2016

Caliper piston fitting this evening so made one final check and clean of the seal recess before the messy job began.

I left the new seals soaking in brake fluid and popped the springs on the rear of the pistons. Got no assembly pics as you get the idea, pop new seals in, grab a piston and smear with brake fluid before gently pushing it into the hole.

All done and very messy. I found the smaller pistons very tight to push home but got there with them.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
31 March 2016

Cracked on this evening with fitting the new clutch m/c so more upside down work in the drivers seat, I’m an expert now at removing/fitting the clevis pin.

Also had a delivery of a couple a bargain TREs off eBay. I was after a decent brand and FAI are good enough for me.

Also got the first coat of matt black VHT paint on the calipers. They look **** in the pics but aren’t dry and look so much better in the flesh.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
1 April 2016

Not much to report this evening but the subframe and car are that bit closer together. I also popped another coat of paint on the calipers. More messing tomorrow with a few jacks and lots of patience.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
2 April 2016

Got the refurbed front struts rebuilt so the strut and hub are one once more. It’s amazing what a refresh can do as they looks much nicer now.

Got hold of some brand new Koni stickers to replace the originals which were looking tired, look a bit pink in the picture but they are red.

After a bit of time with a couple of jacks I got the subframe refitted and the engine back at a height it should be. Pretty chuffed to say I’ve done this all on my own and nowhere near as bad as I thought it might be.

Struts, wishbones and TREs all fitted along with the caliper mounting brackets. Also cleaned up the arches and painted on fresh underseal. Got the rest of the underside to underseal, oh the joys.

Calipers are 99% finished after a few coats of VHT satin black paint. It’s so thin it’s like water and you have to be careful not to plosh it on or it just runs and sags. Looking forward to getting them refitted.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
3 April 2016

Not much completed today as I was out walking with some old work chums, 11.12 miles and no aches so all good. When I got back I checked the front disks and they are have little wear as stock they are 32mm width so perfectly fine.

I got the drop links fitted, disks and caliper as well as the pads. I thought I had some spare caliper stickers but can’t find any so I’ll speak with my sticker man tomorrow and get some ordered.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts