Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, looks like I'm getting hold of one of these. I want it for the extra 400rpm or whatever.
Actually, remind me. Std 2.0 8v is limited at 6400rpm and the pooperchip takes it out to 6900rpm? Is that safe. Well it soon will be because I'm fitting a 2.0 16v bottom end.

Anyway, if I have the money then I will before and after test the chip on a rolling road.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
It had to be said sooner or later.

You lot want to get decent engines, like old renaults (the new engines are crap, all of them the last decent ren block was the F7P, I can waffle on about that if anyone wants to hear! lol).

Not even 7krpm standard rev limits. All (petrol) rens are at least there.

They are not even fully counter balanced like the XE.

My little banger will rev to 8 grand happily, 175k on the clock too.

Chris:)

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aye, silly us labouring on with the shoddy vauxhall engines like the 20XE which noone in motorsport would touch with a bargepole. They all prefer the Renault 5 engines. Because they can make a reliable 200BHP.
Every time I go to Santa Pod the R5 guys are always laughing at GTEs and saying "it's only a matter of time mate before it melts or something".

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A bit of friendly banter Tom thats all!

The R5 'massive!' is full of pillocks. No more so than any other marque though.

The 5 engine despite it being designed for the dinosaurs is actualy a good engine. If tuned properly it can make some very silly power.

If you look at it and its design you would throw it in the bin. OHV, 8V not even a crossflow engine!

Renault made some cracking engines, they went to crap after Gordini went though.

The F7P is a great engine, for many reasons. Only prob is you can't do much with the valves. 137bhp from 1764cc's as standard ain't to shoddy either. it was designed with motorsport in mind, bore oil sprayers for example.

The 2 litre F7R is crap though, the willy engine, its an engine for a laguna really.

The E6J energy engine 8V 1390cc is very good as well. That should have been turboed but wasn't. So I am gonna do it and add MPI when I get cash, which may take a while.

Chris

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
The E6J energy engine 8V 1390cc is very good as well. That should have been turboed but wasn't. So I am gonna do it and add MPI when I get cash, which may take a while.
The 1.4 lean burn engine was indeed a cracker! My mate had one of these many years ago and it went really well, not sure about turboing it but why not:p

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Its not really a lean burn engine.

I have 2 of em. Both the E6J which is the carbed version. The later SPI models were crap and had less power.

Weber 32 TLDR is what fuels em as standard.

I just want a project and since I have a spare engine then why not. I got rid of a load of engines a while back.

I had to buy another car to repair mine which I had an intresting smack in at 80mph so I got a spare car and slowly breaking it. So thats why i have a spare engine.

Had a load of cvh's and so on for a while.

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
the 1.8 f7p engine(r19 16v, and clio 16v) have a standard rev limit of 7k(the early 19's without cat had limit of 7250rpm). without the cat, they put out 140bhp at 6250rpm, and 120lb/ft torque at 4500rpm. they are quite square engines-82mm bore, 83.5mm stroke. hill power, one of the leading renault tuners, increase the rev limit to a max of 7800rpm, wihout any probs on a standard engine. jsut that after 8000revs, the tappets pump up nd cause problems. solid lifters rneeded then. mmmm 70mph in 2nd, cant beat it!

surely reving a 2litre 8 valve engine near 7k wouldnt be benefical would it? for those sort of revs, you'd need a 16v's. or at least a longer duration cam to sustain the power??

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
surely reving a 2litre 8 valve engine near 7k wouldnt be benefical would it? for those sort of revs, you'd need a 16v's. or at least a longer duration cam to sustain the power??
Well as standard I agree, they die off to soon.
But in the current tune the limiter interupts the fun. I do plan go for a diffent cam, just going to add 5-10BHP at the top with a little loss below 2500rpm.

You can see that power peaks around 6000rpm. However, power at 6800rpm is still going to be better than power at 4000rpm (which is roughly where engine ends up after gear change).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The twin engined renny 5, its got 2 engines doesn't it! lol

Nah with the rens its dead easy. The whole engine/drivetrain/steering sits on a subframe. its held to the shell by 4 bolts. the struts by 2 13m bolts and the usually hoses etc.

So its easy to make a twin engined effort.

I have pictures of me swapping subframes all alone in my street but the scanner died (no digi cam for me) so no scans!

It also has to be said rens are better developed for high power fwd applications, equal length driveshafts etc, also the boxes are bomb proof, they die when idiots allow them to overheat cos of low oil levels. Lotus use ren boxes you know.

Anyway the 5's nice, pretty quick from what I believe. Don't know much about it.

Jimbo, shouldn't you be on the Gumball mate! Or do I have the wrong James Murray? I thought you still had the 1.8 in the beast?

As for revs yeah it tails off as the power graph shows but its fun revving it high!

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
if your gunna go for a perfromance cam, use forge motorsport down bristol road(ashville trading estate i think) i got my cams reground by kent in 3days. cost me 210quid, but the engine jsut pulls like a train after 5k rpm

by the way, been looking at your site tom, which rolling road is the best and cheapest to use? mech repairs or power station? cus i gota get my car rr to see how many stags its putting out now after all the work

·
Registered
48 Posts
yeah its me christopher! lol still got the 1.8 in there, but in its current state of tune, its putting out williams power. jsut wanna get it rr to see wat power its putting out at the wheels

·
Registered
48 Posts
lol best be making more than 80bhp atw. in the 120's id be happy with. can pull 40-70 thru the gears in 5secs dead, so i thinks its putting out a fair few nags.

i ent a member of rensportsclub, so i cudnt go. cudnt see the point in driving all the way to newquay anyway, then driving all the way back. save some money instead

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I ain't a member and I am not gonna be, cannae afford it! lol

the offer was to everyone, a lot of people goign were not members. I would have went if I have the cash for the jungle juice.

You still working at the car wash place?

Hopefully it will be up there with Alex and his 127bhp @tw.

Chris

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I tried the Pooperchip today. Sadly it didn't raise the rev limit above what my standard chip had. I didn't notice any other differences so I kept my original chip.

Mech repairs are more helpful, but I think that the Power station rolling road gives more consistent results.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.