Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I floor the accelerator at 1,500rpm in every gear accept 1st the car chugs like its misfiring. The car goes nowhere fast until it reaches about 2,00rpm then the car lets fly. Its an Astra GSi 2.0XE. Would this possibly be caused by me drilling the airbox, just in case i've drilled a hole in the wrong place and hot airs getting in?
Anyone any ideas????

·
Registered
672 Posts
I would suspect the electrical section, plugs, leads, dizzy. I had similar trouble with a cracked dizzy cap on my old car, horrible at low revs but smoothed out as it went up.

You're now going to say that XE's are dizzyless, aren't you?!!

Hot air won't cause a specific low revs problem, you would get an overall slump, particularly noticeable after standing at traffic lights or similar.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
I hate to sound little sarcastic, but tickover is like 950rpm, its a 16v, they are made to rev, the power band is 3500rpm-redline, so why are you worried about whats going on at 1500 ?? Every car will bog down at 1500, except maybe a v6 12v, or basically something with outstanding torque.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Does it happen on light throttle openings or just full throttle? What's the the idle quality like?

If full throttle, mostly likely the engine does not like it.

If part throttle, then you have a slight misfire, check leads, plugs (especially plug gap), won't be a very smooth idle either.

Spark quality is most important on part throttle settings / low rpm

Its nothing to do with your airbox, hot air etc.

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at the throttle cable. It looks a little to slack to me. Are they easy to adjust?
It only splutters when I floor the accelerator, it doesn't seem to do it on part throttle.
So basically if it only does it on full throttle that theres nothing can be done except keep the revs high?

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Correct, but i sometimes do it on purpose, cause i have drilled airbox and a sportex exhaust with the first silencer baffles burnt away. It sounds like a sherman tank growling up the road. It probably did this before you drilled your airbox, but youve onlyjust noticed it and now have started pointing the finger at changes youve made.

To adjust the slack in the throttle cable you just take the circlip out of the ribs in the adjuster which is top dead centre of the engine, then pull the slack lightly and place circlip back. You can feel where it starts to resist you pulling this is the throttle opening so get it spot on otherwise you will make the engine idle rapidly.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
engine breater

could be caused by the cam cover breather on the top of the engine. this caused a similar fault when i fitted a k&n to my 16v gte, if u take off the cam cover u will see a blanking plate, remove this and drill a few small breather holes in it. hope this helps.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.