Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

181 - 200 of 219 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Just ordered one from your site... should have checked first:) Cheers! lmao P.S.: Check my company name lmao
Want to wait for a new one or will the one I have sitting here do ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
ok going to need something like this as looking at putting the omega 3ltr v6 into my mk2 cav
now the cav is coil fed for the rev counter but the omega i dont know so any help on weather it is coil or ecu would be appreciated also do i order here or from your site and how to Pay is the next question :D

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
the Omega will have a rev counter feed out from the ECU somewhere so this should work fine.

Ordering is done through the site but you probably want to hold off until you've got everything in and running. If you abandon the project then thats £35 less spent ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
For people following this, the V2 version of the Pulse Converter is nearly ready.

Improvements are :

On board pullup resistors for the input and output with a jumper for the bias. Saves messing about with external resistors.
Redesigned PCB - 30% smaller
RS232 output of the current RPM (requires V2 to PC board at £15 ish but you can roll your own)
Firmware includes extra diesel support - this extends the lower range of the unit for higher input frequencies
6 shift light outputs capable of driving relays, leds or bulbs up to 250mA each
User can program up to 6 shift light outputs by revving to 1/2 rpm of each shift value then pressing button
Shift light settings and up/down ratio can be programmed via PC (Serial) with optional RS232 interface (should be around £15)
Firmware upgradable

Still a couple of weeks off being finished but I have a working prototype on the bench with most of the above working at the moment :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
doubt i will abandon the project as already red topped it but bored of that now so heading down the v6 road also as i am swapping the gearbox to f28 mechanical drive my speedo (astra gte digital dash) is going to read in correct so would i need a 2nd one of these units for the speedo or does one unit do both revs and speedo

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
One unit per adjustment I'm afraid so you'll need one for the rev counter and one for the speedo.

·
Registered
194 Posts
im interested in buying one of these to convert the alternator rpm output on my astra isuzu diesel to run an aftermarket tachometer designed for a 4 cylinder petrol. how is diesel support? , can i use the shift light outputs your talking about.when will this new setup be ready and how much is it. ps could i also run the standard mk4 tachometer too? ( my car used to be low blow diesel with ecu and i think rpm to clocks comes from the ecu . i have no idea at what frequency ) or maybe i need 2 units. one to convert for the 4 cylinder tachometer and one for the built in one .i suppose it depends on the number of pulses to the standard clocks

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
These units have been tested on the Isuzu diesel alternators and with the diesel program will drive the 4 cylinder tachos no problem. You should be able to use the shift light functions without problem as well.

You'll have to have a play with the MK4 alternator.

Units at the moment are £35 each but I've got to review the price when I've worked out how much the new units cost to make and how much extra time they take me to build.

Still working on the last bit of the bootloader and hoping to have this finished by the end of the week.

·
Registered
194 Posts
oh also i had a suggestion for your software although i know it might be a nightmare to code. when setting the shift light points i think it might be better if you could just somehow display the set rpm on the tach and use the up and down buttons to change to the correct level which u want the light on , instead of revving the engine to that point . this is how most aftermarket tachs with shift lights i have seen work

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Its programmed to allow you to set the RPM by revving the engine to half the required set RPM then pressing the set button.

I.e. to turn the light on at 5000 rpm, you rev the engine to 2500 rpm then press set.

The problem with doing it your way is that these units get connected to speedos/rev counters/4x4 ecus and other things not just tachos ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
allright just seems a bit fiddly having to rev to a point but i see your point about it connecting to other things, with the rs232 interface you can set the points manually right? by entering an rpm value?

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Not at the moment, the RS232 is just there for raw data output and programming the firmware at the moment but there's no reason not to include the facility in a firmware update in the future. You can program the eeprom on the unit seperately with the software I'm writing for the bootloader so it shouldn't be too hard to sort out.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Ok - having spent the past couple of days debugging and battling to find out why the bootloader wasn't working properly I discovered that good old Microsoft "Visual Bollockery 2008" doesn't transmit 8 bits of data when you ask it to via Serial. The bootloader was partially working but not actually doing everything it was told to.

Having found a work around, I've retested and my original bootloader code appears to be working 100% (bloody Microsoft lmao)

Will be carrying on with it all tomorrow and hopefully will have the software finished and tested by sometime next week so I can get on and make another batch of these.

I did make 6 of them about a week ago but have sold 5 of them already (Chip / Neil / Jason - they went out in the post today) and the 6th is going to be kept for workshop use and testing.

Typically I haven't even written the instructions for them before they sold out but one of my customers from Finland had one and was so impressed he ordered another lmao.

Instructions so far can be found at www.picbits.co.uk/npi.jpg

Dom

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Cool - thanks for letting me know Dan - let me know how you get on :)

Dom

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
will the v2 will do the pulse amplification from the abs on smaller cars? in other words a corsa let with electronic f28

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
will the v2 will do the pulse amplification from the abs on smaller cars? in other words a corsa let with electronic f28
Afraid not - I was planning on integrating the amp with the board but there wasn't enough PCB "real estate".

I do have the ABS amps to go with them though on the page on the webshop.

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Yup - you need to order it off my webshop though - Picbits

Its under gadgets

Anyone ordering a 1.0 will get the latest version anyway.

181 - 200 of 219 Posts