Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peeps,

just after a little adivce, I recently bought a Cally V6 se9, and as part of the package (standard from Vauxhall I believe) came Sony xr-c450rds headunit + cdx605 autochanger.

The was all very nice, till one day I came to my car to find a flat battery. The fault was located to the headunit, which was sucking 220 Milliamps all the time. I have swapped the unit out for a old one short term, but I just wondered, is this common? The car is a 1997 model, so the kit is 5/6 years old......

Plus, can I re-use the auto changer if I buy a new Sony headunit? Or perhaps is it easy to repair the old problematic headunit?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I can have a look at the Sony service info for you and let you know if there is anything common to this headunit.

Just send me a private message to remind me on Tuesday when I'm in work.

Is the head still working (sound and lights)?

You should be able to use the old changer with a now head unit as long as the connections are the same. As far as I know Sony haven't changed them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PaulF said:
I can have a look at the Sony service info for you and let you know if there is anything common to this headunit.

Just send me a private message to remind me on Tuesday when I'm in work.

Is the head still working (sound and lights)?

You should be able to use the old changer with a now head unit as long as the connections are the same. As far as I know Sony haven't changed them.
That would be great thanks, yes the headunit still works fine, that was what made it all so puzzling. I think I will start looking at the new headunits in case a replacement is on the cards.....

Cheers,

Pete....

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Hi Pete, I remembered to look.

There's nothing on the service database about drawing excess current. They do have a problem with the power supply control IC, but that usually gives a dead fault.

How used is the head unit?

If it's battered, it's probably worth replacing it, If it's in reasonable condition then it may be worth getting it repaired.

Try and find an independant dealer (ie not Halfords or anyone like that) and asl them to have a look at it. If they charge an estimate fee ask if you can use the estimate fee towards a replacement if it's too expensive to repair.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

:D :beer:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I really appreicate you looking for me. I know of a little old repair shop, I will drop it by there and see what they say!

It looks in pretty good condition, and the dilema is to do with the fact it has a autochanger.........

What this space, I may be looking for reccommendations! ;-)

Cheers fella,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts