Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
The bearings of rods i can get off without remove the crank, but and bearings of crank? can i change without take off the crank?
its not possible to do on a daihatsu charade gtti (turbo). not much help i no.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
nope

you can change big end bearings only without removing crank

its only another 10 bolts anyway so whats the problem?

·
Registered
269 Posts
my son will be doing his some time in the future, on his gtti. he had the head skimed+ thick copper gasket, but has a slight rattle after the rebuild. took the head of and you can see very faint marks on the head where the pistons are hitting the head. good luck:)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I was told by Autovaux that this could be done on the 2.0. I was enquiring about the same for a 1.6 but they didn't know for that one.

My understanding was that you can just drop the crank enough to get the top half of the bearing out and to slip in the new one. This could then just be done with the gearbox and flywheel etc in place.

I don't know how true this information is though.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Martin!:beer:

And Chris, i think in this too, because this i put the tread here about this. Because in my mind, i can slip the old bearing, and put new in place. But i remember, the bearings have a "lock", this lock will get impossible this, dont will slip.. :(
But thanks for this information Chris! :beer: :)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
If its anything like the 1.6 crank (which i think it is). Then the 'lock' you mention is simply an off centred notch on on end of the half bearing. If you can drop the crank by abour 5-10mm I think you'd have enough space to get it out.

But having never taken a 2.0 to bits I dunno. :confused:

·
Registered
504 Posts
To do this the oil pump will have to be removed to gain access, it will also be difficult to replace the bearing next to the flywheel with gearbox still attached. you will have to replace the crank end oil seal for flywheel side also as this may begin to leak if not changed, so flywheel has to come off also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts