Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cav I am almost certain to purchase has among other things a superchip. I have heard mixed things about these, what do you lot reckon to them when attached to our lovely vauxhalls?

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
They are ok, but they are over-rated to be honest.

Lets put it this way -

When a manufatcurer builds a car, the engine thats made and put into each car may indeed be identical models eg 20XE but none are identical and you get good ones and bad ones.

In order for them to run, the manufacturer must make an ECU unit that will run ALL engines whether they are bad or good versions of it. They need to build only one unti so as to keep costs down. This means that the standard ECU is an "off the shelf" product thats not specifically tuned to the engine its mated with in the car and so fuelling etc are not ideal.

The Superchip is er......hmmmmm..... another "off the shelf" product thats designed to run with the same particular engine but do it all a bit better which gives you the increase.

If you use something like a UniChip, then this is setup for each INDIVIDUAL engine so as to match timing, load and fuelling ratios exactly to its engine ie at 400RPM intervals and at 3 different loads for each one. Thats why you will always get a better performance increase in a mapped chip than a universal one.

Its not that Superchips are bad (they do give an increase), its just they cant give as big an increase as an individual chip.

Rich

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
On the flip side if you happen to have one of the engines on the top of the scale of flukey engine ecu combination, a super chip may actually make your car worse. This isnt the case for unichips cause they guarantee an increase in bhp or money back.

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well he says it needs remapping, I just need to know whether it is a 'superchip' or another chip that he is calling a super-chip.

How expensive is it to have the car rolling roaded and the chip remapped?

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Superchips only give a guess at what the engine needs, and in fact could make your engine LOSE POWER.

UNICHIP is the only way to go as you get the fuelling and ignition matched perfectly to your engine.

In fact, on normally aspirated cars the stock ECU isn't that bad. The Manufacturer has spent millions on engine design and research, isn't going to put any old bog ECU on the engine, and can cope with quite a few mods before you need a different chip. :p

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Sho_Off, you cant re-map a superchip unless I am wayyy off here :D

Thats the diff between Superchips and UniChips. Superchips are "Plug 'n' Play" so to speak whereas the Unichip allows you to fiddle with the "drivers" or software to get the best from it.

I would mebbe ask the guy if he is sure what he has in there.

Rich

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah that's exactly why I put this post up. Was he labelling all chips uni or otherwise superchips, just to state that it has a chip or is it a 'superchip' that would need replacing in order to be remapped.

Questions, questions that I won't know the answer to til tomorrow.

JUst gotta be very sure before you part with over £2000 sovs.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There is always a chance that it is a unichip, and he's calling it a superchip because it sounds faster!!!

If it is a unichip, it should only cost a days worth of rolling road to get it sorted, I'm assuming Trebors price includes a chip? If it isn't a unichip, start looking in scrapyards for an original chip!

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
SHo_Off

Ask if the guy still has the reciept for the chip. It may say on that what type of chip it is. Or look at the ECU.

Another thing, I was recently at a rolling road tuner and he said all the superchipped cars he's RR'd all ran lean at the top end. This was proved when my mates superchipped astra was RR'd.

I've seen the unichip v. superchip discussion on many car forums over the past 2 years and the unichip always comes out tops.

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the confirmation peoples. From the discussions on here I never doubted that if you're gonna chip your car you use a uni chip but until tomorrow I cannot find out what I am dealing with. Thing is the spec is very impressive without the chip so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. If I wanted to unichip it later that is no problem either.

:D

Bout time things went right for me!!

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's a genuine Superchip fitted by ABP motorsport about 2 years ago.

Apparently it did not give massive power gains but it did smooth out some flat spots.

Since the chip cams have been added so it would benefit from being RR'd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.