Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Iv got an early astra mk3 1991 so its the 1st style, the drivers repeater is hanging off (well its loose)

would THESE oval LED 1's fit and how easy are they to change over?

Cheers

EDIT: More to the point, is it possible to change them without taking the wheels off and removing the arch liners?

·
Registered
276 Posts
changing the side repeaters is dead easy, just give a tug and they pop out,
the problem is, the early phase 1 mk3 astras have completely different side repeaters than the phase 2 mk3 astras.
I think the ones you are looking at are for phase 2, and I dont thinkthey are interchangeable without hacking at the body work!
not really sure of different ones for the phase 1!
best thing is to take one out, thenhave a look anbd compare it to the new one!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
meaning i gotta buy a set 1st welll its less than £15 but i know that the current 1's just leave a round hole behind when ripped out and the oval jobs are stick on.

looked in the haynes manual and its talkin about taking wheels off and taking arch liners out, can i get away without that do you think?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
if there are lugs on the back which do not interface with the holes in the wing properly then just hack them off! lmao

Did this when i put Mk3 Astra style clear repeaters on my old Nova and just stuck them on after, worked a treat.

Just check that the wing aint been resprayed though as my Astras has and they obviously used the repeater to mask the area, so whenn i swapped the std. ornage ones for some nice smoked ones there is just a little bit of white of the wing showing

Ps best way I found to get them out is to lever them out gently, use a flat head screw driver with the end covered in masking tape so as not to scrath any paintwork, and gently lever the clips loose, seem to recall they clip in headlight end, and hinge on the windscreen end, just take ya time :cool:

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
graham_may said:
if there are lugs on the back which do not interface with the holes in the wing properly then just hack them off! lmao

Did this when i put Mk3 Astra style clear repeaters on my old Nova and just stuck them on after, worked a treat.

Just check that the wing aint been resprayed though as my Astras has and they obviously used the repeater to mask the area, so whenn i swapped the std. ornage ones for some nice smoked ones there is just a little bit of white of the wing showing

Ps best way I found to get them out is to lever them out gently, use a flat head screw driver with the end covered in masking tape so as not to scrath any paintwork, and gently lever the clips loose, seem to recall they clip in headlight end, and hinge on the windscreen end, just take ya time :cool:
Cheers m8, quality info there, just need the oval LED's now :D

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
do u have to do anything in the engine bay to get these out? Iv tried to lever the drivers side 1 off and its loose anyway but there seems to be sommit pulling it back

EDIT: hmm seems to be held back by the wires :( looks like im gonna have to look in the engine bay at least

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Could be the plug getting caught somehow, but mine seemed to 'pop' out after a little physical persuasion!

Not sure how you get at the plugs from inside the engine bay, it may be necessary to remove the inner arch liner and get at them that way, but sure someone else can advise you when they read it.

Sure there was some slack in mine though so perhaps trying encouraging it out with a small screw driver too once it's lossened? might be an idea

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bloody arch liners are a pitfa

it seems to pull out and u can see it taper off so the wires will be close but its being pulled back :( needs further investigation. will have another go later

Cheers

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you are thinking of getting them led oval/focus shape repeaters beware that they are VERY easy to nick. Ive had two sets of focus shape led repeaters and both sets have been swiped by the n*bbers. Now have three circles in my front arch....haha they can TRY and nick them the bast*ds!!!

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looked in the engine bay, there 2 plugs either side that look likely to be the repeaters, brown and black wires (the brown are negative in my experiance) if i unplug these i should be able to get the repeaters off.

any gen on if this is right?

Cheers

·
Registered
918 Posts
I recently did my uncles phase 1 side reperaters, didnt buy any special ones just clear oval, the old ones just popped out think i may have broken one but no matter cos they aint going back on! :) then cut the wire making sure you give it a pull first to get enuff length thru the hole to hang out of the wing other wise when u let go u will lose the wire in the wing ( not good ) .

The new repeaters would not fit straight in the round hole as they had plastic bits on them stoppin them i just cut/snapped them off so left the round bit only , connected the two wires up removed the sticky bit and pushed them in and stuck on, make sure you get them straight though as you will only get a couple goes b4 the sticky wears off.

Hope this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.