Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate things like this:mad:

Started drilling out a sheared bolt on the side of my gearbox. It's the one that holds the gear linkage bracket at the top.
Anyway, managed to drill a nice small hole all the way through it. Then I thought 'I know, a stud extractor will wind this out in no time at all'.

This is where it all went wrong. The stud extractor sheared inside the hole. Now these things are tough - further drilling just blunts the bit & is making a mess of the thread :mad:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
oh dear....a right royal f*ck up really.

This work but will cost you, find local engineering shop, get them to drill out the hole slightly bigger and then fit helicoil in. This now means you need a slightly bigger bolt (so drilling the hole in mount may be required). We do this all the time on the ally chassis on aircraft when they get stripped.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah - think I'm gonna admit defeat before I do any more damage & take it to my local engineering place, they're a good bunch.
The worst thing will be the embarrament when they see my feeble efforts:(

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I would like to correct you there alan, fitting a helecoil will make the thread the exact same size as the bolt that was origionally fitted so there will be no need to fit a bigger bold. When people strip out there spark plug threads what do you think the do? fit a bigger plug lmao lmao Rick

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
At work,we have had sheared bolts spark eroded out where a helicoil would not be suitable,I HATE helicoils.
But it is much more expensive,but it leaves the existing bolt hole and thread intact.
Dave

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
> I would like to correct you there alan, fitting a helecoil will
> make the thread the exact same size

You can do, depends on what size helicoils they have.
They should have metric ones there in stock hopfully.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts