Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Just used our Mk2 Astra GTE on its first road rally event. It didn't lunch itself (like the previous two Vauxhalls have) but a couple of problems have come to light:
1, Under normal use, the clutch pedal vibrates when no pressure is applied to it, and if you're really harsh with the change, the cable jumps off the pedal.
2, When the engine gets hot, it gets difficult to find gears, especially third.
3, The brakes judder A LOT when they're used hard for a long time.

If you lot have any advice/fixes for this lot, please reply as soon as poss as I'd like to get it fixed for the next event (12/13 June)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The accelerator cable is brand new, as are the discs + pads, so need another clue on those.
What, if any, other parts need replacing? (Gear linkage, box, etc?)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Try tightening your cable at the clutch end. Although I'm surpised it can jump off the pedal as they're a right fiddly bugger to get on.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
could be the little cutout in the end of the clutch pedal that has worn. you slip the end of the cable through, and then prise the end of the pedal spring into the same hole and it kind of locks the cable end in. as above its a right arse to take out so there must be something wrong.

·
Registered
215 Posts
has the gearbox oil been changed if not recenty or ever, that made a lot of difference on mine. The other thing i did was to take the gear change coupling (the one next to the gearbox with pinch bolt bit on) off as the pin and metal bit round the outside had worn, but the bush was fine..

I then welded on a couple of washer to the metal bit and made a new pin and held it in with a couple of split pins.
it all helps

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Re the gear prob...have you checked the gear linkage setting? On the cav there is a way of setting it with a drill in the gear change housing and (on Mk3) one in the gear lever........did this last week when lost 5th gear at speed and it corrected the problem(i could select the gear at rest and low speed ,but not at speed)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers for all the info guys,

The clutch cable had some slack in it before the actuating arm moved, so that has been taken out, also I'm trying to find a toothed washer thats fat enough to stop the hook on the end of the clutch cable coming out of the runner.
With regards to the brakes, I think its down to the OE ones being sh1te, so may well get swapped soon (ATE prob. - thanks Tom)
The gear selection problem is a bit more complicated - the intermediate knuckle had siezed up a bit so thats been stripped and rebuilt, but may well have to invest in a new gear linkage (any short-throw ones around at reasonable (read cheap) prices?)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.