Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mate is finally selling his mk2 astra gte 16v, and were going to look at a 200sx tonight. (80k ,fsh) . just wondered how much faster the nissan would be if at all?
i have a feeling the nissan will break because his astra took all the stick he threw at it and its still pulling like a beauty at 140k miles.
(He desparately wanted a 4x4 cav but he cant afford it)

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
they are pretty well matched but the sx will prob feel a bit faster and have the high end speed advantage.

the sx is also loads more tunable. It will be reliable, just make sure any work he has is carried out properly as turbo engines aren't the kind you can do to many diy jobs on!!

oh, and if he drives like a chav then expect many new rear diffs. these are the weak point on most RWD cars and constant wheel spins and rear end action can kill a diff...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Rusty 16v said:
Nissan is deffo faster, I had one before the GTE 16v.

Nissan will be more fragile though (assuming S13 here) as the big ends aint to strong, seem to let go at random
Could it have just felt faster being a turbo car and all. On paper there isn't much between them, can see a Nissan whooping it in the 50-70 in top stakes.........................

·
Mig Club Member
9,312 Posts
The Nissan has a longer gear ratio I believe and from what I've read seems slower than it actually is 0-60. Quite fancied one myself but decided to keep the astra for now.

Agreed the 60+ should be faster and top end.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I was at the lights next to an S13 200sx the other week - he absolutely blitzed me as we pulled off!! I'm guessing it had had a fair bit of work done to it (looked gorgeous as well!!), but I dread to think how much I'd have had to have spent to get my GTE moving that quickly. Nice cars.........

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
S13 isn't much faster than an Astra GTE, but prob will have it mid range/top end.

S13 is a 1.8 turbo with (i think) around 169bhp. 60mph is mid 7's and around 135 i think top end. A guy i know had a punto running 180bhp (fully stripped) and came up against one and it didn't cause to much of a problem. And i've had a go against his punto and the punto wasn't much quicker at all.

So a corsa Retop on 16"s hits 60 in about 7 seconds, so a few light modifications (uknow, zorst, filter, bit more boost) on the 200SX and it'll do around that which is ample to kill of a GTE (and GTE's dont cause me problems).

S14 is a different matter, 2.0 16v Turbo, 200bhp, think its 6.4 0-60 and 146mph top.

·
Banned
779 Posts
remember this is STD.. fit a bleed valve and crank the boost to 14psi on the s13, and you'll be looking at a smidge over 200bhp @ the fly which is about 150bhp @ the wheels

( this is what my mate had and was running 17" rimmz ( 60k miles engine and brand new t25 turbo)

the std intercooler can take the 14psi all day and night if u want..

the rear diff is not a problem on these cars.

the main problem is rust ( hey you own vaux'es your used to that :p )
and big ends..

just get em changed as soon as poss, if u do it yourself cost u under £70 for uprated big endshells... dunno what a garage would charge.

also, the hundy engines LOOOVE Nitrous ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mate bought the car last night, and its pretty quick, has an exhaust and filter, and is deffo quicker than the astra,
altho, when we got the car back we were lookin thru the glovebox and found a receipt type thing with the cars reg on, it was a dyno readout, and it said 216bhp! we dunno if this is genuine as the car has no boost controller and looks standard under the bonnet, and the guy selling it didnt mention it!
how would you tell if the bosst was uprated or do you need a digi controller?
ps i thik im the new owner of his gte ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the thought had crossed my mind, cos the shell is rusted to fook now,altho the lump has 140k on it, and my corsas a '99, doesnt make sense to rip a perfect engine out after on 37k! maybe i'll find a clapped out early sri and bung the xe in there
i think its mine for 400 quid tho.everything is perfect bar the shell :rolleyes:

·
Banned
779 Posts
theres probbably a bleed valve on there..

or atlest the must have been b4 he sold it..

prolly returned it to std boost to sell

send you m8 over to
www.sxoc.com

and get a bren device ( basically a bleed valve )
and a boost gauge

whap it to 14 psi and enjoy your 216bhp @ the fly :D

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
dave_sport16v said:
the thought had crossed my mind, cos the shell is rusted to fook now,altho the lump has 140k on it, and my corsas a '99, doesnt make sense to rip a perfect engine out after on 37k! maybe i'll find a clapped out early sri and bung the xe in there
i think its mine for 400 quid tho.everything is perfect bar the shell :rolleyes:

My engine was a 42k 1.4 16v (cars a 96 though). You will make back around £400+ (prob more seeing the mileage). But then as you say, do you wanna take a good engine out of an ok car.

Banged up SRi's are going for feck all these days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.