Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Break for parts.

Votes: 22 75.9%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the car is currently on Ebay. Started at 15p in the early hours of this morning, currently at £51 with 21 watchers.

I was thinking about it today. Maybe I'd be better breaking the car. This way I'd probably get more money in total, plus the buyers would be buying what they wanted. eg: loads of people with Astras/Novas might fancy the 288mm brakes or the pedal box etc. The shell could be put on manky old suspension from another car and then finally sold as a bare shell with roll cage and seam welding.

I'll probably raise this on the auction and watch the auction to see how it's going by the 5 day point.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4546743785&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, tonight I'll draw up a price list of what I think each part is worth. If you don't like what I want then I'll put the part onto Ebay and see what it fetches. That way you can bid lower, but if someone else thinks it's worth more then it goes for more. None of this can happen until I see how the complete car auction goes. You never know, somebody might want it. But I'm thinking breaking might be the way to do it. Plus I think I'll enjoy it! It'll be like undoing all the things are returning the car to nothing. The parts can then live on in other cars.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine had an oil problem in pot 4. I took it apart to fix it. Meanwhile borrowed an old BMW 320 to drive. After a few days of RWD I couldn't be bothered to fix the car. More to it than that, but that's the main points. I've finally grown tired of driving a stripped out car every day, plus RWD is where I want to go now.

·
Banned
22,254 Posts
Fair enough, just wondered! I had read that it was broken into and recovered!

You should put a note on the e-bay add stating that hairy legs and rattle can aren't included in the auction! lmao

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
There seems to be huge demand for the component parts, it's perhaps an easier way of making the money back, even though it's more time and effort removing parts etc.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time and effort braking is not an issue. Doesn't take long to strip bits off a car.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes, I remember you were screaming "I don't want to die today" all the time.
Nah, LOL, only joking.

Yep, noone is going to pay outright what I'll get for all the bits. I could start tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
had u of sold that about a month or so ago, i would of took that shell of u, & would of saved me a load of time stripping my new one.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had an idea last night! Sell off the bits but keep the shell and put the engine in the back. This might mean that I want to keep a few essential parts, like the braided brake lines since they are worth a lot of money and I'm not buying some new ones weeks after selling the current ones! The suspension and brakes could all go though since thay would have to be rejigged. Hmm, pedal box though. Whatever, it'll all sort itself out, but then I'd get to do some more fabrication. Don't know what we'd do with the car though. Wouldn't be MOTd.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
You're not shy with a welder, keep it in the front and fabricate a tunnel. It'd take a fair bit of work to balance it out with the engine at the back I'd have thought... Could be another thing to research and document though I guess :cool:

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
im sure a rear wheel drive mk2 was done before. i think if u draw out plans, & do it properly, it could work. like the idea myself. up to u Tom.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts