Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Clibra the roof lining started to peel off and has now spread to every corner of it, I tried aerosol carpet sticking adhesive but no joy, it seems the old glue has turned all very dark brown crystalised into powder, and so any new glue on top of it does not make it stick, so what is the best way out of it instead of scrapping off the old glue which means the whole lining will need to come away from the backing cardboard ceiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
On my Clibra the roof lining started to peel off and has now spread to every corner of it, I tried aerosol carpet sticking adhesive but no joy, it seems the old glue has turned all very dark brown crystalised into powder, and so any new glue on top of it does not make it stick, so what is the best way out of it instead of scrapping off the old glue which means the whole lining will need to come away from the backing cardboard ceiling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
You‘ve probably long sorted this by now but better late than never I suppose!
Had exactly the same issue with a Vectra B after trying to remove the aerial to repair the damaged roof seal.
I found it impossible to get the original lining to stick back onto the roof card and glue was bleeding through anyway. To me it looked like the best way forward was to bite the bullet, remove the complete headliner and take things from there. It isn’t a difficult job by any means although it can be a bit fiddly and care is needed not to crease or otherwise damage the card.
Once out, the old covering can easily be peeled off and the brown crystals you mention are the remains of the old perished foam backing from the original covering.
There‘s no alternative but to get all this off and back to a good clean base I’m afraid and if you do try cutting corners here the new lining will look a mess once applied. It‘s harder work if you’ve used lots of glue already trying to stick the original back, unfortunately! I used a wire brush to remove the old foam which came off easily where I hadn’t tried to re-attach the old lining. Where I had, it took a little more care, effort and patience. Finally, a good wipe down with thinners to get to a smooth base without damaging the card itself is then required, although you will probably still be left with some signs of the old foam in the texture of the card. The idea is to get to a good, clean base to start over from.
There are plenty of headlining trim options around but I went for a dark grey alcantara which lots of people use in van conversions and I have no regrets. If you want to keep it as original as possible then I’m sure you’ll find something out there. I’m in the North West and got the fabric and adhesive from Harrison Trim Supplies in Cleckheaton, they gave me a few tips and were quite helpful. Prices range from £14 - £21 per metre depending upon your choice and you’ll probably need 2 meters plus a couple of cans of adhesive, so it’s not an expensive exercise.
To apply the new trim, fold your covering in half and start in the middle of the card, working to the front or back, whichever end you start with. Apply an even coat of adhesive over the card and the same to the foam on the material. Let it go tacky and then carefully roll the material onto the card, making sure that it’s firmly attached without creasing as you go. You should now have something that looks like half a proper headlining. Repeat for the other half. Trim for the cut outs for the grab handles, sun visor attachment and overhead console if you have one, making sure the edges cover and are stuck down properly on the reverse.
Leave flat to allow for all the glue to dry thoroughly and then it’s a matter of getting it fixed back in the car without creasing or otherwise damaging it and building the interior trim back up.
Good luck!
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top