Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 926 Posts

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well as many of you got to know my old run around, which evolved into quite a fire breathing race-van lmao

well with the imment arrival of a baby boy (any day now) it was time for the van to go. a more practical(ish) car was needed. i'd always loved cav gsi's so now was a perfect time to kill two birds with one stone :)

a deal arose with a fellow migwebber --roybacer-- and he made the 600ish mile round trip down to my part of the world for a swap :) he arrived yesterday evening and left me with this :) :) :)

its so spacious inside than im used to, driving around in a astra van for the last few years lmao

came with a few bits and pieces aswell, twin headlights :cool:

it came with loads and loads and loads of history. it looks like a private plate on there H2 SBD, but if it is then it was put on there from new as its always had it from 1991. a 'Mr Boon' bought the car in 1996 for 7500 :eek: :eek: and spent thousands lmao just after he bought it theres a garage recipt for a cracked head, and another one for a brand spanking new vauxhall head coming in at 1100quid :eek: and recipt after recipt after recipt for servicing and mots every year, and he eventually sold it in 2003 for 1800quid after it owing him the best part of 10grand :doh: its just turned 101k which is pretty dam good for a near 20year old motor.

the bodyworks relitvly tidy for its age, little scabs and bits and pieces here and there if you really examine it, but all in all its very tidy :) not gonna win any concorse shows but its more than tidy enough for my family run around

Now, ive been quoted over and over and over about the begining of the van thread of it always staying diesel and never going to change anything on it at all, and i couldnt of eaten my words more :lmao:

BUT with a little ron jr on the way, the cav IS going to be staying pretty much how it is. any mods will be little here and there, and the theme instead of outright racer as the van went this will be sleek comfortably luxary saloon :D :D

part of the deal of the swap was i kept all the big brakes off the van to go on the cav, so thats one mod, and the other thing i really want to do is leather interior, turbo or big fat diplomat arm chairs :D apart from that it'll just be generall tidying, getting all the little bits and pieces and all the electrics to work, speccing it up as much luxary as i car, comfy and luxary :)

tok it out last night, and its so differnt to drive, ive been driving pretty much a race car on the road for the last few years, no sound deading to road noise, straight through loudest.com exhaust, solid engine mounts, no suspension, every trip out would send you blind and deaf, but this to me is like driving some massive cadalac :lol: comfort, silence, comfy chairs, no road noise, electric everything, electric windows front and back, electric mirrors, electric sunroof, id almost forgotten how a normal car drives lmao

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so today took it down the unit :)

another thing i noticed was it had no centre caps and on closer inspection you coulnt fit them due to the super long driveshafts :confused:

so got it up in the air to change the baby 256s

when i first got the astra everyone was going on about the saught after technomagnisio detroit f1s, now ive got them coming out of my ears lmao

anyways, all stripped off

driveshafts shorteded :D

turbo brakes off the van (and gsi) on :)

and on to the rears

found its got AVO adjustables too :cool:

took off the discs

was told that astra gsi and cavalier gsi have the same rear brakes... WRONG >:-( the cav discs are alot deeper as they have the whole IRS hub assemberly stuff.

so they just had a sand off and a paint up

and painted up the fronts too :)

wheels back on

and with the shortened driveshafts i could get the centre caps off my astra wheels on, much better :)

next was the tow bar, so happy its got one :) soooo usefull :) (oh and i started gelling up the plastics too :cool: )

but didnt want it on all the time, and the way its built its quite easy to take just the end off :)

and last up there was somthing missing in the engine bay

but it was in the boot just not fitted, so stuck it on :)

and all done, gelled up the plastics, which were dying grey,

and thats all done :) its crying out for a polish, so i'll go get some burgandy colour magic and give it some love tomorrow :)

its so nice to have something new to play with thats not mk3 astra :) :) :)

:) :) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Ive just broke a Cav gsi if there is anything it needs? Got the other rear spoiler. The one that goes ontop of that one. With light.

Looks clean tho. ALOT cleaner than the one i had lol.

·
Registered
110 Posts
f00kin hell mate all that effort into that astravan and all the problems you had with it and still managed to stay out of a mental hospital, you are a legend.

i nearly cried when ya sold it LMAO!!!

mint work lad cant wait to see this

·
Registered
148 Posts
finaly got one then mate very nice motor to keep baby safe and to travel in reto style

get them quad lights in it next and get some mud flaps on her :cool::cool:

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Love it, shame the van had to go but as little ron jr on the way then its a must!

Looking forward to the random updates and the speed at which it transforms into a robot or something..

Ginge

1 - 20 of 926 Posts